Cannot load main spelling dictionary

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Various

Operating system version

Various

Description of the issue

Last week the error message "cannot load main spelling dictionary" started popping up. It pops up only after I have had Filemaker opened up for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. It happens with all FM files. It is happening on 3 of our computers: one runs FM 11 Advanced on Windows 7, another runs FM 11 on Windows 7, and the last runs FM11 on Vista. The error message is not popping up on two computers running XP. I have already reinstalled FM, checked to make sure the dictionaries are in the proper folders, etc. Still keeps happening.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Nothing specific. But only starts to happen after Filemaker has been opened for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"Cannot load main spelling dictionary"

Workaround

1. Turn off spell check.
      2. Close FM and open it back up. Then happens again after 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

• 1. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
          steveromig

Vivian -

Thank you for your message.

The first thing I would do is verify the main dictionary file is where it is supposed to be - although I suspect it is.  It should be FileMaker Pro > Extensions > Dictionaries folder.

If this checks out I'd try re-installing your copy of FileMaker Pro.

And, on the machines were you have this issue - is there anything in common with them?  For example, could they all be running the same version and flavor of anti-virus software?  Not suggesting that anti-virus software is the cause here, but just trying to figure out if the machines where you are seeing this have something installed that the ones that are working do not.

However, the fact that this happens on multiple machines is puzzling as it is unlikely they are all messed up in the same way.  But if all these machines are accessing the same file it is possible that the file itself is the cause of this problem - especially since the problem itself does not happen until several hours of usage.

Can you isolate this issue to running a certain script, touching a certain layout, or entering a certain field?  Or does it appear to be a random occurrence?

TS_SHARK
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
            VivianWoo

Hi TS_SHARK.

The computers that are seeing this and the ones that aren't all have the same Anti-virus installed. Only difference is both computers not seeing it are Windows XP. The ones seeing it are Win 7 and Win Vista.

And yes, the FM files are all being hosted on the same Win XP machine (the one not seeing the issue). But I have been hosting on this computer for a year. And I can't imagine ALL the files would have this issue?

It happens randomly, only various layouts, fields, etcetc. Just all of sudden you start typing and that error comes up (because it's trying to spellcheck as we type).

Vivian

• 3. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
              VivianWoo

TS_SHARK: the error began popping up the morning of April 9th. So the only thing I can think of was that I downloaded all the updates and patches for the Win XP host computer the night of Apr 8 (since as you know Win XP lost all support as of 4/8, so I thought I'd better at least have the latest updates). Maybe the XP updates did something? Oddly, the XP machine itself is not showing this error.....

• 4. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                steveromig

Vivian -

Is FileMaker Pro installed in the default locations on all the systems or was the directory switched during the install process?

Assuming you are using FileMaker Pro to share files, it might be worthwhile re-installing FileMaker Pro to see if that helps.  Try re-installing it on the "host" machine and on one of the "other" machines and see if you are able to reproduce the issue.  No sense at this point re-installing on all the other machines since we don't know if that will fix the issue or not.

Might also be worthwhile to check to see if you can reproduce this in other files besides the one you are using.  If you can't it might indicate some issues with the file that you are using.  Not sure what those issues might be but it is a possibility.

TS_SHARK
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                  VivianWoo

TS_SHARK:

1. All installs are in default locations.

2. I have already reinstalled FM on one of the Win7 machines showing the error and on the host XP machine not showing the error.

3. The error pops up on ALL FM files. I even created a new "test" file on just the Win 7 machine (i.e. not being hosted by the XP machine) and it happens.

• 6. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                    persistentfool

Was a resolution found? I am having the same problem.

Gregg

• 7. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                      FileKraft

same issue:

FMP13v5 on Windows OS Version: 6.1

reinstalling didn't help - it run FileMaker ok for 5 months then suddenly this happened.

• 8. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                        steveromig

A couple of other things to check...

• Is the dictionary file located in a file / directory that your user account has access to?  Perhaps try logging in as an admin or with another account and see if that helps.
                        • Do you have antivirus / security software installed on your system whose settings might be interfering with the dictionary?  As a test, temporarily disable your antivirus / security software and see if that helps.  If it does, re-enable it and check out your settings to see if you can exclude your software from interfering with the dictionary file.

Steve Romig

FIleMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                          FileKraft

Thank you Steve,

So we contacted our client's IT service guys and they confirmed they changed the anti-virus software the date it started. Bingo!

Now trying to resolve it by excluding from virus protection.

• 10. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                            FileKraft

now IT is very helpful reinstalling and excluding from virus software but the windows and menus won't show - only dialog boxes. any idea?

• 11. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                              FileKraft

and we already run the Windows Compatibility Test for Windows 7

• 12. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                                steveromig

now IT is very helpful reinstalling and excluding from virus software but the windows and menus won't show - only dialog boxes. any idea?

Not sure I understand what you are describing.  Could you provide some additional information as well as some screenshot(s)?

And, just out of curiosity, what AV software are you using that was causing the initial problem?

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                                  FileKraft

thank you Steve for getting back to us so quickly - the anti-virus software is bit - defender

• 14. Re: Cannot load main spelling dictionary
                                    FileKraft

sorry i cannot provide screenshots right now. but i can describe that if we lunch the .fmp12 file it only shows the dialog box of the login - when logging in it shows only dialog boxes if they pop-up.

if we start FMP13v5 just the program we see the open file dialog box.

1 2 Previous Next