Using the Known Bugs List on my Windows 7 machine as a test subject, I selected the very last script in the manage scripts dialog and was able to drag it up until it was the very first script listed. While I could drag the script, I could not get the window to scroll with me while dragging up. I had to drag it up as far as it would go, then scroll the window, then drag again until I got it all the way at the top.
Curiously, when I then moved the script back to it's original position, I could get the window to scroll with me while dragging down even though this did not work when dragging up...
i have 365 scripts. just to confirm, did you test with alot of scripts?
A script for each day of the year! Couldn't resist.
I have many more than will show at one time in the Manage | Scripts window. You can download the file I tested to see for yourself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip
Forgot that link in my last post.
thanks for that. Yes, your test file works fine. I even duplicated your number of scripts past my 365 (yours has 75). So what next? Its really frustrating that I cant reorder or move my scripts. My file passed consistency check. Not sure what else I should do.
A consistency check doesn't check for all possible issues with your file. Try running a full up recover on your file.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...
- The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).
grrrr. I really dont want to rebuild this. I also can't exactly use a backup because of all the new/updated data. Plus there is no guarantee that the backup isn't corrupt too.
after running Recovery (which didnt fix the problem on the recovered file). there was this error:
8496 Balanced out begin and end folder markers
and I found this online at http://fileshoppe.com/recover.htm
Manage Scripts (Scriptmaker) or Manage Layouts Problems:
When attempting to move a script to a new position, the script may duplicate itself or disappear, and can not be moved. See Answer ID 6316 "Why am I unable to properly rearrange scripts within ScriptMaker?" [link] There is no solution, other than to delete all scripts from that point down, and recreate them (in FileMaker Advanced, script steps can be copied & pasted). The recreated scripts will have to be reassigned to buttons, etc.
This is a problem with the internal "catalog" of Scripts (or Layouts)
To repair ( re-catalog ) with Recover try "Copy file blocks as-is", then select "Rebuild Scripts, Layouts" ( FileMaker 10 and higher )
Tip: Sometimes folders are the problem. Try deleting all the folders with an earlier version of FileMaker, where folders show up as blanks
- When attempting to move a script to a new position, the script may duplicate itself or disappear, and can not be moved. See Answer ID 6316 "Why am I unable to properly rearrange scripts within ScriptMaker?" [link] There is no solution, other than to delete all scripts from that point down, and recreate them (in FileMaker Advanced, script steps can be copied & pasted). The recreated scripts will have to be reassigned to buttons, etc.
I also can't exactly use a backup because of all the new/updated data.
But, as noted previously, you can save a clone of the backup and import all your current data from the recovered copy into the backup copy.
Plus there is no guarantee that the backup isn't corrupt too.
Well there is no guarantee that any file on a computer--whether FileMaker or of another type is not corrupt. We can only "play the percentages" assuming that if the file shows correct behavior then it has not been damaged in some way.
Problem is when I make a clone, the scripts still misbehave(with the clone file). I think I might have to delete scripts and re-import. which would break the buttons they are associated with. :(