4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 2:41 PM by SB_1

Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?

SophiaOlivas

Summary

Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 or 10

Operating system version

Windows 7 - 64 bit

Description of the issue

When we installed FM10 it printed fine - we upgraded to FM11 and it printed fine for a day, 2nd day it throws this error:

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Options are "Close the program"

If we click the red x instead - the printer window comes up - but when you hit print it errors out.

Have uninstalled both versions and installed each one individually on same machine and have same issue.  Installed on another system w /win 7 64 - same printer and it works fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open File maker pro 10 or 11 and print form

Expected result

form prints

Actual result

Print driver host for 32bit application error

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Options are "Close the program"

Configuration information

Windows 7 64-bit
      HP laserjet 4200n printer with latest driver (HP Laserjet 4200/4300 PCL6)

Workaround

installed on another machine - but this is an unacceptable resolution

filemaker_error.jpg

• 1. Re: Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?
          TSGal

Sophia Olivas:

Thank you for your post.

When FileMaker Pro prints, it sends the information to the printer driver.  Since this fails on one machine but works on another, I would first remove and then reinstall the printer driver.  Reboot the machine to make sure the changes are saved to the system and then try printing again.

If the printing works for other applications but not FileMaker, then I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?
            SophiaOlivas

I uninstalled all print drivers, and reinstalled only the latest one and still had the problem.  Uninstalled FMP too and still had the problem.  It is almost like FMP cannot tell that its on a 64 bit system.  Does it have to be run in compatiblity mode? 

I can still print from other applications - unless I try several times to print to FileMaker Pro then it seems other applications get messed up, but closing them and restarting them seems to fix that issue.

I have checked the print spooler service to ensure it is on - and set to automatic as well if that helps.

• 3. Re: Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?
              TSGal

Sophia Olivas:

FileMaker Pro is a 32-bit application and it will only run in 32-bit mode.

It is possible the database file is damaged.  Try taking the database file to the working machine and see if printing fails.  If it does fail, then try recovering the file, open the recovered file and print.  Once it prints successfully from the second machine, bring the file back to the first machine and try again.  On the other hand, if it prints fine on the second machine, then there is something on the original machine that is interfering with FileMaker Pro printing.  Since you reinstalled the printer driver and FileMaker Pro, then stop all non-Microsoft services and try again.  If that still fails, then try to determine the differences between the two computers.  If still unsuccessful, try moving the printer driver from the second machine to the first machine.  If that still fails, then a possible reinstallation of Windows 7 may be needed.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot Print from Win7 -64bit machine all of a sudden?
                SB_1

Was there ever a resoloution to this problem. We have the exact same issue.

Our database is stored on our server.

Our two Win XP machines print just fine.

Our two Win 7 64-bit have the same problem described above.

We have multiple printers and none will work with FileMaker Pro 11.