1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 10:30 AM by philmodjunk

Cannot recover file created on earlier version.

FredHinckley

Summary

Cannot recover file created on earlier version.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 10

Operating system version

Mac 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When attempting  to open file from FMPro, I get the message "This file was created with a previous version of FileMaker Pro and must be converted to this version of Filemaker Pro." When I then proceed to convert, I get the message "FMPro quit unexpectedly. Click reopen to open the application again."

If I try to simply open the file from the Document Folder, the file is interpreted as an Excel file, and Excel is opened. I then get the message "Microsoft Office is not able to run Filemaker Pro at this time. Verify that Filemaker Pro has been installed correctly on this machine." The "Get Info" shows it as an Excel file, also.

I also have an old PowerMac running OS9.1 and FMPro 4.0 which the file was created on. It still runs fine on that machine. Anyway of salvaging from that machine?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Same results each time I have gone through the process.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

See above

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Cannot recover file created on earlier version.
          philmodjunk

Sometimes one version of Filemaker will "tolerate" hidden damage to a file that only becomes apparent when you upgrade to a newer version. Try using FileMaker 4 to recover the file, then see if you can convert this recovered version. If that works, see if you can find an older copy of the file that does not require the recover to convert. If not, you may need to take your chances with this recovered, then converted file.

You also might try using version 4 to save a clone of the file to see if the clone will convert to version 11 format. If so, you can then export the data from version 4 as a tab or csv file, then import it into the converted clone.

If all elses fails, you can try exporting the data from your original file as tab or csv files and then import the data into a brand new FileMaker 11 file. This does not import any of your layouts or scripts, but at least you have imported your data.