7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 8:18 AM by Bob

Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)

Bob

Summary

Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Developers could be hindered by not being able to get rid of applied theme(s) without losing custom layout work (colors, etc.). This is more of a 'beware' issue than a bug, although perhaps some warnings could be put into effect to save folks from trouble. I am new to 12, and I could be not well learned, but here goes.

A developer has spent (a great deal of) time developing custom-designed layouts in 11 or previous, for a file in which IWP is enabled. The file is migrated to 11, and IWP works fine. The developer, who has not read all about 12, sets a theme, proceeds in development, then when testing in IWP, finds out that the theme (if not Classic), is not supported in IWP. The developer switches to the Classic theme, and her customizations are lost.

It would be really helpful to receive notice of this potential problem when applying/changing a theme, and even better yet if one could remove all themes. A pre-12-created file without a theme can work in IWP, so getting a file back to a non-themed state would be very helpful.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Build layout(s) in pre-12, for an IWP-enabled file.
      Convert to 12.
      Mistakenly apply a non-classic theme.
      Continue development in FM.
      Later test in IWP.
      Find out your theme won't work.
      Mandatorily switch to the Classic theme.
      All your hard work is gone (unless you did proper dev. backups, and tracked your work).

Expected result

Be warned of applying non Classic themes for IWP use when attempting to apply one.
      Be able to remove all themes.

Actual result

The opposite.

• 1. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
          TSGal

Bob:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, only the Classic theme is supported in Instant Web Publishing.  I recommend that you enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are read by Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for future release.  Although I can copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
            Bob

TSGal,

I did know that the Classic theme is currently the only one supported in IWP, and will certainly send in a request at the URL, but what I wrote about is somewhat different. I might just need more information on how this process works.

A file created in pre-12 is converted to 12. IWP works fine, i.e., my layouts are not changed..

1) If I never applied a theme, or ran change theme, does the layout even have a theme?

2) If the Classic theme is applied automaticlly on conversion to 12 (I don't know if this is the case), then why are my original (non-Classic) colors, etc., not turned to white, etc., which is what happens if I change theme to Classic?

I learned at a recent 12 roadshow that any time a theme is appied, it remains embedded in the file/layout, even it is not active (due to changing to another theme), and that best practice is to not experiment with production databases in terms of themes for this reason. thanks

• 3. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
              TSGal

Bob:

If you convert a file to FileMaker Pro 12, all layouts will be assigned to the Classic Theme.  If you go into Layout Mode and Change Theme, you will see Classic is currently selected.

You can add colors to any theme.  However, when you switch to another theme, the formatting is lost and the new fonts, backgrounds, etc. become active.

If you want to experiment with different themes, duplicate your layout, and then apply the different themes to the duplicate layout.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
                TSGal

Bob:

I have been informed that once you change to a new Theme, you can press Command-Z (Mac OS X) or Control-Z (Windows) to undo the new formatting back to the old formatting while still keeping the new theme.  For example, if you created a line and applied "Red" to the line, when you change to the new Theme, the line would be black.  However, if you Undo, the line returns to red and you can save the new theme with the red line.

For more information about Themes, see Knowledge Base Article #10785 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10785

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
                  Bob

OK, I know what to watch out for, and if this is too far into the programming level of FileMaker, I can let it go, but I still don't understand how FileMaker can apply the Classic theme to a layout in a file converted from 11 or prior, without setting all the fields to white, yet when I run 'change theme' from the existing Classic, to Classic, all my colors are lost. I understand why the colors are lost; I just don't understand why they're not lost when a file/layout is set to the Classic theme during conversion to 12.

• 6. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
                    TSGal

Bob:

Perhaps this is a better explanation...  Think of FileMaker Pro 11 (and earlier) having one hidden theme named "Classic".  When the file is converted to FileMaker Pro 12, it remains in the Classic Theme.  Therefore, no formatting, color, styles, etc. are lost.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Cannot remove theme(s), or create layouts without one (IWP)
                      Bob

Thanks, that is all very useful info!