1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 12:18 AM by fabianf

Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)

BasemShlewiet

Summary

Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X Version 10.9.2

Description of the issue

I am unable to save as PDF in ANY File that I open.  Even like when I use a Starter Solution file like Contact or anything else. 
      I get the following error message:
      “test.pdf” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

I can do a Save as Excel without a problem.
      I can do a Save a Copy as of the file without a problem. 

The only problem is with saving as PDF which does not seem to work AT ALL. 
      Please help!

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have FM 12 installed on the same computer and I can save in PDF there without a problem!  so the issue does seem to be relating strictly to FM 13.

Expected result

Regain the ability to save as PDF

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

“test.pdf” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk."

Configuration information

As above

Workaround

NOPE

Screenshot_2014-04-25_17.28.44.png

• 1. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
          RickWhitelaw

I use fmpa 13 and have no problems saving as PDF. The error message you're getting is almost always about an incorrect file path or a path with illegal characters.  I can't see your screenshot. Perhaps you should post the exact path.

• 2. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
            TSGal

Basem Shiewiet:

Thank you for your post.

What can you tell me about the layout?  What objects are on the layout?

This error message can also occur if the temporary folder doesn't have enough room.

Does this only occur with one file?  That is, if you create a new file with one field, enter data into one record and Save to PDF, does it also fail?

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
              TSGal

Basem Shiewet:

My apologies.  As I'm re-reading your original post, I see that this issue occurs with all files.  Please disregard my last question.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                MarioCantalupo

I have the some problem, I warm on the network, on windows platform it is OK, on MAC computer I get the some problem

If I restart the MAC works, but if I open some folder or I do other thinks when I am back to filemaker and I save as pdf, I get the some problem

I thinks this is a bug on filemaker 13 on the MAC platform, and this is very bad, on filemaker 12 never get this problem

Dear filemaker developer please solve the problem 

• 5. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                  TSGal

Mario Cantalupo:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to save a PDF file with the same name to my Desktop.  Are you able to save the PDF file to your Desktop?  If that works, what is the full pathname where you are trying to save the file?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                    MarioCantalupo

The problem is that somtimes work and somtimes does not work

The some script, in different time does different result, 

Yesterday I run the script that produce invoice and save them on subfolder on the desktop, and did not work

I restart the apple machine maverik, and after the restar was ok

So I do not know why thi strange beavior

Mario

• 7. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                      MarioCantalupo

I forgot to say that I use a FFire plugin inside the script, on windows machine never been problem

Mario

• 8. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                        MarioCantalupo

When I got the problem, i try to save a pdf on desktop without script, via File menu, some problem, error windows

• 9. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                          TSGal

Mario Cantalupo:

If you disable the plug-in, do you have any difficulty saving to PDF?  Are you able to Print to PDF?

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                            fabianf

We are experiencing the same problem, and judging by FM Tech Network, so does plenty of others, although as the problem doesn't occur all the time it is hard to provoke and prove it.

Saving as pdf (by script) is one of the key features of our FM system, and it has been working flawlessly in FM12. When upgrading to FM13 all users except me experience the bug described above. At first, it is working fine, but after a while they get the same error message as described above.

We are all on OS X 10.8-10.9 (happens on both platforms).

They are all using FMP 13.0v3. I am using FMPA 13.0v3.

We are saving on a OS X file server, which has been working fine in FM12, and I have been checking permissions etc to no avail. I have also made the script running with full permissions, to exclude that as a problem.

Filemaker Team: we have also been experiencing problems with FM13 and PDF's, as FM13 for some users crash when we drop a pdf into a container. Also this problem started to occur in FM13. It seems this has to do with which pdf-viewer you are using in your computer. Normally we use Acrobat Pro, but we have been testing with Adobe Reader as well as Apple's Preview of which the last seems to work best (this is in itself a big problem when we need to right-click to open in Acrobat Pro dozens of times each day). I'm thinking, maybe these two problems are connected in some way as they both seems to do with PDF's?

Either way, a solution to this is number 1 priority for us. Right now we all feel like running Quark xPress (or "crash express" that we used to call it) back in 1994. All users wants to go back to FM12. We can't have that!

• 11. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                              Fred(CH)

Hello there,

I am not telling there is not a random bug, but i never get this although i have a similar configuration and use this feature many time a day.

That brings me to ask trivial questions :

When the problem occurs, are your sure that any file with same path and name is not already open ? Very common when your run your script on more time and meanwhile you opened the file..

Do you have any antivirus installed ? If so, try to deactivate it temporarily and see if it make a difference.

Since it is random, can you replicate more consistently if you create and execute a script that create many pdf shortly, for instance in a loop ? If so, could you provide this file and then, more people can see if they also can reproduce the issue.

Pure brainstorming.

Courage, Fred

• 12. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                                fabianf

Hi Fred,

There is a bug, and it's (probably) not random, it just occurs randomly. ;) I spent the full day yesterday trying to figure this one out.

I think the key here lies in "similar". I think this has to do with which pdf generator your system is using. Could you tell us which system, which Acrobat Pro/Adober Reader/Apple Preview and which FM you are using?

Thanks for the brainstorming; these things were the first I checked. There is no antivirus installed. When we use this function to save on a file server, it will give the same error message if there would be another document wigh the same name in the same place, so it is a relevant question. The same error message will be displayed if you forget to connect to the file server, or if you are connected by VPN to yet another server. This is not the case, but it sure has made everybody looking in the wrong direction, as there are so many other possible reasons for these problems...

In fact, once the bug occurs, when I ask the user to abort the script and then just use File -> Save as -> PDF and just save on the local desktop, they get the same error message, which to me proves this is not about permissions, file paths etc.

When this problem started to occur after installing FM13, I thought it had to do with the file server, and I asked everyone to reconnect to the server to fix the problem. What surprised me was that they said restarting Filemaker actually fixed the problem. This was the first indication it might have to do with Filemaker. The second indication was that Filemaker occasionally will crash when you drag and drop a PDF into a container, if you have Acrobat Pro 10 as your default PDF-viewer. The third indication was that somebody in a forum claimed they had problems saving as PDF at all once this happens.

Like I said above, I think this has to do with how Filemaker saves as PDF. I think that there might be some combinations, like OS X + Apple Preview, that works, while others won't work. For me, the most suspected combination is OS X + Acrobat Pro 10. That would explain why it is not as common as expected, as most users are not using Acrobat Pro, but for us in, being in the graphic industry, we need Acrobat Pro to check PDF's before printing, so moving to another PDF-viewer is very limiting for us.

• 13. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                                  Fred(CH)

Hi Fabien,

Thanks for details !

I think the key here lies in "similar". I think this has to do with which pdf generator your system is using. Could you tell us which system, which Acrobat Pro/Adober Reader/Apple Preview and which FM you are using?

I don't think so. The FM action "Save As PDF" is integrated on FM Pro (not on FM Runtime for instance) and should not depends for system or third party component used as readers, except when the option "Open automatically" is checked.

However, I know that these components are very important for viewing PDF on a FM web viewer or interactive container (and the crash-bugs related to it with Adobe 11 component and Mavericks).

But i will answer you winkanyways : 

I have both 10.8.5. machines and 10.9.4 machines.

I always open the PDF files by default with Apple Preview.

On Mavericks machines, i deactivated Adobe 11.0.4 internet plug-ins when i ran into the crash issue occurring during PDF insertion or viewing within FileMaker interactive container. But this one i suffered since FileMaker 12 yet.

But one more time, i do not think it is related to this problem here.

And sorry for my poor english...

Bye, Fred

• 14. Re: Cannot save as PDF in Filemaker 13 V3 update (Nor 2 or 1)
                                    fabianf

Thanks for feedback Fred – much appreciated as we are facing a serious problem here and any clues as to how to find a solution is a big help.

Interesting about the technology behind Save as PDF. I'm not too much into that, but as you write the PDF-viewer is connected to the problems with interactive containers, and as this bug appears when saving PDF's, I was thinking maybe 1+1=2... ;)

Still, your setup confirms that you don't get the problem with Apple Preview. It would be interesting if you had access to Acrobat Pro and used that for a while. :) By the way, are you using FM Pro or Advanced?

1 2 Previous Next