1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 2:37 PM by TSGal

Cannot see available files unless I ping the server.

rpan

Summary

Cannot see available files unless I ping the server.

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.5

Description of the issue

I am running a filemaker 9 server, using both version 9 client and version 11 client.  When I go to open remote and click on the ip address of the server the available files do not appear.  If I ping the server and go through the same process the available files do appear.  Not too sure what caused this problem to happen.  We have been running without this issue for years.  I'm trying to think of an event that may have caused this.  I did add a new database to the server which coincided around the time of this funny behavior.  Any ideas?

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above

Workaround

Pinging the Server

• 1. Re: Cannot see available files unless I ping the server.
          TSGal

Richard Pan:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Adding a new database file to the server would not cause the sharing to be inaccessible, so I think this is just coincidental.

Was there any update(s) to the OS recently?

Please look over Knowledge Base Article #5493 to cover all bases:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5493

If you still cannot resolve the problem, and since this did work previously, I would start by uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Server.  That is, find some time where you can perform maintenance on the server.  Close the database files and move them into a folder on the Desktop.  Stop FileMaker Server, uninstall FileMaker Server, and remove any files leftover from the uninstall.  Reinstall FileMaker Server, redeploy, move the database files from the Desktop into the Databases folder, open the database files, and try accessing the files remotely again.

If you have already resolved this issue, please let me know what you did as this may be helpful to other customers who encounter the same problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.