Summary

Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

WIndows 2008 Server R2 SP1

Description of the issue

I had FMS 13.0.1.224 running and working on a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server.  After installing Windows Updates on March 7, 2014, FMP 13 client can see the server but no hosted fmp12 databases can be seen or opened.  FMS 13 Admin client shows all of the hosted databases open and normal.  Same FMP 13 client can see hosted database on a FMS 12 server.   Verified that port 5003 is not blocked by the server firewall.

The Windows updates included IE 11, as well as numerous Windows security updates and .Net Framewwork 4.5.1 security updates.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Install FMS 13.0.1.224 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server.
      2. Install all latest Microsoft Windows patches.

• 1. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
          fmarker

I had to uninstall FMS 13 and re-install it to get it to show and allow connections to hosted databases again.

• 2. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
            fmarker

I saw the same problem again after installing the OpenSSL hotfix where FMP13 clients could not see any hosted databases.

After restarting the server, repairing the FMS13 installation, restoring the DLLs replaced by the hotfix, and multiple restarts of the server after each, I discovered that simply UNCHECKing the "Require secure connections" option on the FMS Admin Console-Database Server-Security tab and restarting the FMS service allows FMP clients to see the hosted databases.

Apparently, the installation of any FMS patches and hotfixes or Windows updates, requires the re-installation of the SSL certificate to allow users to see hosted database.

• 3. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
              steveromig

Fred -

Thank you for your message.

We recently (in the last 24 hours) updated the knowledge base article dealing with the OpenSSL issue to include some additional information about what you need to do to apply the patch.  See here for more information:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13386/

TS_SHARK
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                fmarker

The following answer is no longer available:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13386/

Also the problem appears to be related to the installation of the SSL Certificate, not with any operating system updates.

See this post:  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/efbb794457

• 5. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                  TSGal

Fred Marker:

Knowledge Base Article #13386 dealt with the emergency release of FileMaker Server 13.0v1a to fix the recent "Heartbleed" issue.  Since that time, FileMaker Server 13.0v2 was released, which also contains the fix for the "Heartbleed" issue.  Therefore, Knowledge Base Article #13386 was removed and replaced by Knowledge Base Article #13183:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13183

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                    oliver

Fred, I have encountered the exact issue you have mentioned. After doing many times of install and uninstall of FMS 13 and v2 update. Still can't make it work.

It's  frustrating indeed.

Oliver

• 7. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                      TSGal

oliver Leung:

If you still cannot get it installed, then I recommend contacting our Technical Support department directly at toll-free 800-325-2747 if located in North America.  If outside of North America, contact the FileMaker office nearest you.  You will not be charged for installation issues.  Our Support Technicians will help guide you through the installation process and they will know what options to take when certain errors are encountered.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                        fmarker

I installed FMS13v2 and re-imported the certificate yesterday.  After checking the "Require secure  connections" option and restarting the FMS service, I still cannot see or access hosted databases from FMPA13.

I believe that the certificate is installed and working properly otherwise, as I no longer receive any error messages when using https to connect to the FMS Admin Console on the server.  Also right clicking on the lock icon preceding the url shows me the valid certificate information.

My FM server is in production use so I cannot take the server down and call for support during normal business hours.

• 9. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                          fmarker

I just discovered a FM Knowledgebase article that only certain vendor certificates are supported.  See http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11413/kw/certificates

I am using a certificate from InCommon Server CA.

TSGal, will the list of support certificate vendors be expanded?

• 10. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                            TSGal

Fred Marker:

Sorry for not mentioning the Knowledge Base Article earlier.  I didn't think it applied since it was previously working.

I just checked with the Support Technician responsible for the Knowledge Base Article, and he say the list of support certificate vendors continues to expand, with the last update to the article made on May, 1, 2014.

If you want to send in your InCommon Server CA certificate, I'll make sure it gets to the proper individuals.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the certificate.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                              fmarker

TSGal,

How do I remove a previously installed custom SSL certificate from my Windows FileMaker Server?  Is it as simple as removing the ServerCustom.pem from the \Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\CStore folder after stopping the FileMaker Server service?

Thanks

• 12. Re: Cannot see or open hosted FMS 13 databases
                                TSGal

Fred Marker:

If you originally didn't back up the CStore folder, then go ahead and remove the file.  If you made a backup, then put back the original CStore folder.

Also, in the Admin Console, uncheck the option for SSL.  That is, in Admin Console, click Database Server in the left pane, click the Security tab, and uncheck "Require secure connections".

Actually, to play it safe, I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.