4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 1:16 PM by Steve Wright

Cannot see text entered in a field

clow

Summary

Cannot see text entered in a field

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP ProDetailed description of the issue:When opening a database to edit records the mouse pointer does not turn into a text editing curser when clicking in a text field. When typing text in the field nothing appears to happen and if you press the backspace or delete keys the original text remains. However after typing or pressing the backspace/delete key(s) if you hit the enter key any edits made appear. This makes it very hard to edit when you can't see where the cursor is when editing and you can only see if you guessed correctly after hitting the Enter key.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Open a database2.  View a record3.  Click the arrow in a text field to edit it Expected Result:I expect to see text as I am typing and text disappearing as I delete Actual Result:I see no changes in the text field until the enter key is pressed Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:1.  I had been using Filemaker Pro 10.0v1 normally for about six months when the issue appeared for no apparent reason2.  I downloaded and installed the 10.0v3 version and the issue remains Any workarounds that you have found:N/A

• 1. Re: Cannot see text entered in a field
          philmodjunk

I haven't seen this on my system. (Windows XP Pro, SP3, FMP 10.03 advanced)

Does this occur in all your files--even a brand new one created from scratch?

If not, does it show up in all your layouts or just a specific layout?

If it does occur in all files, if you have access to a second machine, move the file to that machine and see if anything changes.

• 2. Re: Cannot see text entered in a field
            TSGal

clow:

Thank you for your post.

Like PhilModJunk, I am unable to replicate this problem.

There was a problem reported earlier with similar symptoms.  That is, if a global field appears in a header, and the current record is scrolled out of view, the cursor is lost in the field, and the information does not appear until you backspace or press another key.  Could this be the problem?

If not, please let me know what I can do to replicate the problem. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Cannot see text entered in a field
              bethanyhuman

i have been having this problem since upgrading to Filemaker Pro 11.

Did anyone ever come up with a solution?

It makes entering data in the database a pain in the side.

• 4. Re: Cannot see text entered in a field
                Steve Wright

Have you tried turning down your  hardware acceleration  ?

There was an update to XP which has caused many issues like this in Filemaker especially if you have a built in intel video card.  Turning the hardware acceleration down to the first / second notch normally cures it.