12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 10:44 AM by TSGal

certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer

AndrewEskind

Summary

certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

windows 7

Description of the issue

My application includes bibliographic records many of which include stored url's to online publications.  I have thousands.   Occasionally, a url - when displayed in a layout via web viewer - involves some unidentified web technology that crashes filemaker.   How to trap, work-around, or get a fix?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Here is the offending url ---   all above board - no malware here.  url works fine in outside browsers such as firefox:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/16/090316fa_fact_collins?currentPage=all

Expected result

crash session

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Windows needs to close program.

Workaround

I need workaround.   Haven't figured any out.

• 1. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
          TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here is what I have done:

1. On my Windows 7 machine, I have launched FileMaker Pro 12.0v4.

2. I created a new database "Blank.fmp12".

3. With no fields defined, I placed a WebViewer onto the layout, and used the link above as the URL.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/16/090316fa_fact_collins?currentPage=all

4. I go to Browse Mode, and the WebViewer displays the URL.

Since this is not working for you, try creating a new database file and see if this works.  If it does, then there may be something in your original file that is causing the issue.  If so, try creating a new layout with just the WebViewer and see if this works.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
            AndrewEskind

Thanks, TS Gal,

Very interesting.    I checked, and I am V12.0v4   build 3/21/2013.

What I just did per your suggestion is open an existing, but inactive fp7 file available for testing.

It converted to fp12.

I added a web viewer to the only layout in this db.    I specified an existing text field as source of url.

I stored the newyorker url in the designated source field.

I stored a different url in another record.   The record with the "offending" url still blows up looking like this screen capture.

Still puzzled.   Glad to attach the fp12 if you wish -- it's only 628Kb.   The only commonality between the fp12 files I'm using is that they both started life as fp7

• 3. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
              TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Thanks for the additional information.

If you create a new file in FileMaker Pro 12, put a WebViewer on the layout with the URL embedded (not in a field), does it work?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                AndrewEskind

I may not be doing this correctly, as I've never used this method.  It neither pulls in web page NOR crashes.   Here's the screen show before SAVE and return to BROWSE mode.

But, also, here's some new info - though it makes no more sense to me than missing Boeing 777.    I copied the offending fp12 and tried it on my Acer netbook where I also have Filemaker for use when I'm travelling.   On that underpowered Win 7 platform, sure nuf, it works without crashing.

Thus, my datafile seems ok, no?  Does this suggest that the Filemaker Advanced installation on my desktop is somehow corrupted (though it appears to work fine otherwise)?   Or, something else about my Win 7 environment that doesn't like what happens when Filemaker browses this website.   I use Avira on the desktop, and Avast on the Acer.    The New Yorker page does seem to have little birdies flying around - could be java - I don't know.   Surely other URLs in other records are hitting sites that use java.

Also, when I travel, I do put current copy of fp12 db on the Acer, edit on that machine.   Then on return home, copy the db back to desktop.   I've done this for years without problem.   If the db isn't happy being swapped from one machine to another, why does it work ok on the Acer?    Totally puzzled.

Also, FYI, this file does about twice a month get uploaded to Filemaker server as hosted by triple8.net.   It's photographydatabase.org though doesn't function exactly the way it does under local filemaker.   Offending record not online just yet.

Totally puzzled.

• 5. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                  AndrewEskind

Problem URL works ok on FileMaker Server as hosted by triple8.net

• 6. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                    TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

If the URL crashes on one machine but not another, then either the computing environment is different, or the application is different.  I can't do much with your computing environment, so try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro.  Once reinstalled, try using the URL again.  If this now works, then FileMaker Pro became corrupt at some point.  If it fails, then you'll need to do some sleuthing to determine the differences between the two computers.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                      AndrewEskind

OK, I have now uninstalled and reinstalled FM12 updated to v4.    Sadly, this one strange URL still crashes my session.   All I need to do is remove the web viewer from the layout, and everything works fine.    I'm totally mystified.   In my opinion, Filemaker including web viewer feature should work in any Windows 7 environment -- 99.99% of it does.   The crash behavior is clearly related to the WEB VIEWER feature in combination with something unusual about this particular url to New Yorker article online.    This database currently has 6992 records in which url's are stored and displayed via web viewer feature.   All except this one work fine.   It works fine one FileMaker Server as run by triple8.net.    If I attach the crash log, might that yield any clues?   Just for troubleshooting, I'll try a different New Yorker article.   I don't often link to their articles.    If there is something about my otherwise fully functioning Win 7 environment that causes Filemaker to crash in only very unusual circumstances, I'd think you'd want to know about it.   I realize that the web viewer feature isn't intended to accommodate all the curve balls other web browsers are obliged to cope with.   Slow loading web sites do cause the rest of Filemaker to be frozen until they load - sometimes problematic.   Can I expect Web Viewer to be any more reliable in FM13 than 12?

Thanks again for your help.

• 8. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                        TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Since the database file works on your "Acer notebook" and when hosted on FileMaker Server but not on your desktop machine, and FileMaker Pro 12 has been reinstalled, then you are looking at something else in your computing environment.

The Web Viewer is not a browser.  It makes calls to the OS webkit API (based on Internet Explorer on Windows and Safari on Mac OS).  Since this is an operating system call, I doubt FileMaker 13 is going to change things until your computing environment has changed.

Try creating a new user account, login to the new user account, and launch FileMaker Pro from the new user account.  If this works, then this points to your user account.  If it also fails, then it's a system-wide issue.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                          philmodjunk

@TSGal

Could the "web kit" code be different on the two machines?

I've long wondered if downloading an updated version of IE also updated the associated web kit on windows machines.

• 10. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                            TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Unknown.  These are system calls, and I'm unsure if downloading an updated version of Internet Explorer makes changes to Windows.  I have asked for clarification on this, and I'll let you know when I receive that information.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                              AndrewEskind

Interesting ---- I'm learning a lot here.

Yes, my 2 machines are certainly different when it comes to IE.    Oddly, the environment where my application works fine - the Acer netbook - is on IE 9 (version 9.0.8112.16421 - update version 9.0.9 KB2722913 - to be exact).

Whereas my desktop - where the problem occurs - is IE 11 (see screen capture of version details).   I never would have thought of this until you mention it -- not much use for IE.

What I keep coming back to is that the problem is specific to certain web sites.   I store urls for 100s of museum web sites - no problem.  I have 100s of citations to web articles on New York Times and other mainstream publications - no problem.    The crashing first occurred with a link to a 2009 article from New Yorker magazine - not a source I frequently cite.    Since this is so puzzling to me, I tried other articles from New Yorker.   Low and behold, another link to a different 2009 article triggers the same crash behavior.     Does it stand to reason that IE 11 might be less tolerant of certain web technologies that IE 9 didn't get upset about.   I'll check to see what happens with newer articles - I'm thinking practices might have changed since 2009 on both sides - the publisher as well as IE.     This, of course, all assumes that Filemaker really is reacting/crashing owing to its use of IE in connection with Web viewer feature.

• 12. Re: certain url values crash filemaker 12 when displayed in layout that includes web viewer
                                TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Our Testers believe that upgrading versions of Internet Explorer will affect the WebViewer, as two other issues were reported after updating Internet Explorer.

The Tester mentioned that if a customer has a WebViiewer looks differently than expected, have the customer paste the URL into Internet Explorer.  If there is a difference, the tester would like to know about it.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.