Change tab control not working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I created tab panels and when I return to edit panels/add panels, the text is grayed out and the only active option is "cancel."

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create tabs in tab panel
      Set-up layout on one tab
      Add one record
      In Layout mode - Format --> Tab Control Setup
      or Double click on a Tab to open the Tab Control Setup

Text is grayed out and cant' be edited.

Expected result

Expect to edit tab panels through tab control setup.

Actual result

Text grayed out - not active, except for "cancel"

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

I am using the trial version as I evaluate the software.

screenshot-tabcontrol.png

• 1. Re: Change tab control not working
          user15307

Sandra Boone,

Thank you for posting.

I have not been able to replicate your issue using FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Windows 7.

What I did was create a new database (testtabs) with one field (field1) and added to the first layout a tab (tab_1).

When I return to the layout after adding another record, I am able to double-click the tab's field and display the Tab Control page.

Please let me know what I can do differently to exhibit the issue as you are seeing it.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Change tab control not working
            TinaSagers

I am having the EXACT same problem, but I am running it on an iMac.  I am alos trying to test this software for personal use.  I am using the Starter soltion for Contacts.  I successfully added 1 tab called 'Measurements' and need to add more.  But, for the life of me I cannot summon the tab control panel up for Contact Details, Website, Map, or Measurements.  It is driving me absolutely batty.  I have been searching the internet for answers as well as this forum.  The only other thing I can add, as suggested in another answer, NOTHING in the entire file is locked. 

Just as an FYI - We own a roofing and remodeling company.  Ultimately I would like to put our jobs (old and new), create estimates (which is where the measurements come in), job cost, etc.   I would like it to all be in one file each under a different tab control.  Contact name, map, measurements, proposal, bill, etc.  I want to be able to search for jobs done in different roof colors, shingles, by address, etc.  I have tried Bento, but got sick and couldn't complete it before my 30 day trial ran out.  I have filemaker 7, but it is not compatible with my new iMac.  I also want to be able to use it on the go with my iPad.  do you have a suggestion as to which might be a better alternative for what I need?  I can't even open up Bento anymore to look at / compare. 

• 3. Re: Change tab control not working
              philmodjunk

There is very little empty space to double click in order to bring up the tab control set up dialog on your measurements tab. Have you tried just single clicking the tab control to get the selection boxes at the corners, then selecting Tab Control Setup... from the format menu?

If you can't get the selection boxes to appear when you click the control, what does happen?

• 4. Re: Change tab control not working
                TinaSagers

OMG!  Moments ago I figured it out!  Let me share my new found knowledge. 

When (in Layout mode), I clicked on a tab I wanted to see the Tab control for, it wouldn't allow no matter what.  Well, over the course of several days of editing this, I somehow got a box (for the lack of a better word) the exact same size as a tab window.  So when I clicked on measurements it would go there but it would also have 4 selection boxes show up. Unsure exactly what this was for, I first recorded the position info in case I had to put it back perfectly.  So, I grabbed the top right selection box and pulled it down about 1/4" (until it was under the tabs).  I then tried to grab the 'Measurements' tab again and *poof* all was right with the world.  I was able to edit, add, whatever.  Phew. 

I still don't know how the box got there to cover up the entire tab.  I haven't adjusted any graphics that came with the original starter solution.  I have also tried to delete the window, and I don't notice anything missing.  So, it is a transparent box with apparently no visible outlines.  To that I am clueless.  I will post a picture with the selection boxes showing for the new size that I made the window, so hopefully Sandra Boone can get an understanding of what I meant.  I feel her agony.  I hope it helps!!

• 5. Re: Change tab control not working
                  philmodjunk

Transparent boxes of this type are sometimes used as invisible buttons. This was probably an invisible button put on top of a layout object that looks to the user to be the button or hyperlink to click, but isn't.

Please note that is is not the issue originally reported at the top of this thread. They managed to open tab control set up but all controls in the dialog were disabled--something no one else has yet been able to duplicate.

• 6. Re: Change tab control not working
                    user12141

Sandra,

From you screen shot it looks like the tab object is locked. Select the tab object, go to the Arrange menu and select unlock. You shouls then be able to edit the tab control.

Garry