Summary

Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

Some fields in a form don't retain changes after you "submit" them over the Web. These changes are erased and the data reverts back to the previous data.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The problem happens repeatedly with specific fields. It happens on multiple layouts. My only theory at the moment is it may be related to fields that appear twice on the same layout. One copy of the field will retain the changes, but the other copy won't.

• 1. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
          philmodjunk

One copy of the field will retain the changes, but the other copy won't.

That's really strange. Please describe the exact design of your layout. Why do you have the same field more than once on your layout?

When you enter layout mode and look at these fields, do some of them have :: in front of the field names? (May have to turn off sample date in the View | Show menu)

• 2. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
            eslteacher

The layout is multiple pages, and the data has to appear once on each page. There aren't any :: in front of the names of the fields.

• 3. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
              philmodjunk

Where on the page does this data have to appear?

Are you sure that you only have one record in your found set and that each page doesn't represent a different record?

• 4. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                eslteacher

I was dealing with a set of 26 found records. I do understand the difference between a record and a page. I work in a school and the layout is basically a three page report card.  This happened with two different fields but the easiest one to explain is with a field I call "Report Status". I put this field at the top of the first page and the bottom of the third (last) page.  It is used to indicate when all the data has been entered. The first copy of the field at the top of the layout worked fine. The other copy at the bottom of the third page wouldn't retain changes, ie. If we set the report status to "completed" at the bottom it wouldn't keep this change. But if you set it to "completed" at the top it would retain this change and the change would be reflected on the copy on the third page. T

he other instance of this that I saw was a group of 4 similar fields that appear once at the bottom of the first page and 2nd spread out over the 2nd page. The instance of the fields at the bottom of the first page wouldn't retain changes but the copies on spread out on the 2nd page would. Could it be an issue with their placement at the bottom of the page?

• 5. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                  philmodjunk

I'm trying to be sure that I have a very clear picture of what you are doing. I think I know the answer, but could be making some wrong assumptions about what you have done. Please bear with me here....

You have a found set of 26 records, but are printing a 3 page report. So does that three page report encompasses all 26 records or just one record at a time?

If the 3 page report includes all 26 records, then it seems likely that you have changed the value of one field in one record and thus only see these changes when the field in the report is drawing data from the record that was current when the field was changed. Fields placed in the header and leading grand summaries will display data from the first record in your found set. fields placed in the footer and trailing grand summaries will display data from the last record in the found set. Fields placed in the body will display data from each individual record in the found set. All that, however is based on assumptions on my part that may not accurately reflect what you are trying to do here.

• 6. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                    eslteacher

I think your assumption is wrong.  I shouldn't have used the word report. By report I meant report card (The name out my layout.). I happened to be looking at one class of 26 students but the problem is unrelated to which records I am looking at or whether I am looking at a found set or not. Just assume I am looking at all the records.  1 reord = 1 student. I have designed a layout that is 3 pages long. I am printing this layout for each student. Three pages for each record (student). The fields appear twice in the same layout,on different pages in the same layout. I don't have a header. I only have a body and a footer. None of the fields were in the footer.

• 7. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                      philmodjunk

Are these container fields?

If not, I'm out of suggestions without being able to examine the file.

• 8. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web

ESLteacher:

Thanks for posting and I apologize for the late response.

If this only happens with fields that appear twice on the same layout, then you're running into a limitation of Instant Web Publishing. From the Instant Web Publishing Guide:

"Avoid using more than one copy of the same field on a layout, regardless of whether they have the same or different control styles. For example, don’t use a field with an edit box control style and the same field with a drop-down list control style. Otherwise, web users must enter the exact same data in all copies of the field to save changes or to perform a find. The same limitation applies to more than one portal or filtered portal on the layout that refer to the same fields."

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                          eslteacher

They aren't container fields. They are text fields.

I think I may have stumbled across a description of the issue in Answer ID: 6008. It refers to two fields when one is an auto-enter calculation value that is equal to the other which isn't exactly the same as my situation, but close. It mentions that fields are updated in a stacking order from back to front. The copy of the field that is farthest forward in the layout must be the one that is last used for updating and therefore the only data that is retained. The resolutions offered there don't help my case, but at least now I think I can manipulate which one can be used for data entry by moving it to the front in the layout. (I have yet to test it out.)

Thanks for your help with this.

• 10. Re: Changes to some fields don't remain when "submitted" over the web
                            philmodjunk

Yet that describes several different fields that refer to each other in auto-enter calculations. That's different from just putting copies of the same field into different parts of the same layout.