1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2013 1:42 PM by synergy46

Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang

PaulFalde

Summary

Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

Description of the issue

This problem seems to be timing related. I have no idea how to characterize it. When I change a field with a pop-up menu, it usually works. However, there are times that the Beach Ball of Death is shown after I try to change the field and that session of FileMaker Pro is hung forever until I Force Quit it. I alway lose the updates that I made to that record when this occurs. I had this happen 5 times in 1.5 hours today!!! This is so frustrating that I'm considering moving back to FileMaker Pro 11.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can't reproduce this problem at will. I have a database with approximately 46,000+ records each record containing 43 fields. There are no relational links in this database. When the problem occurs is after I change a field with a pop-up menu entry. Typically, it changes the field immediately, but when this problem occurs, there's a couple seconds where nothing happens, and then the Beach Ball of Death strikes and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced is permanently hung.

Expected result

I expect the field to change immediately after I select a pop-up menu entry.

Actual result

Most times the field changes as expected, sometimes it hangs FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There is no error message, it just hangs.

Workaround

There are no workarounds that I have found. I may consider moving back to FileMaker Pro 11 but that apparently has a different file format now so I can only imagine what hoops I'll have to jump through to make that happen.

• 1. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
          iDEViate

Have you attempted to run FileMaker 12 recovery on the file to see if that changes the behavior?

• 2. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
            PaulFalde

Thanks. I didn't realize that recover worked that way. I just tried it and it claimed to have found no issues. I did see that the resulting file size was larger which seems strang (old: 53,448,704 bytes; new: 53,481,472 bytes). If the claim is true that no problems were found, then the problem still seems more like a timing bug in FileMaker Pro. I'll use the slightly-larger recovered file going forward to see if the problem persists.

• 3. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
              codecruncher

I have had the old frame of a pop-up menu seemingly burnt-in after converting a file. In FM 12 the outer frame of the field appeared in dark gray and could not be changed in FM 12 with the appearance panel of the inspector.

The file was converted without errors and a rebuild was error free as well. The problem turned out to be that the line thickness of the field in FM11 was set to 'none' without a border while the color was defined as the background color. I was able to remove the burnt-in frame by changing the color of the field's frame to 'transparent' prior to conversion.

I can't reproduce the issue with a simple file but the burnt-in frame appeared on every layout that had the line thickness set to 'none' while the color was not set to 'transparent'.

• 4. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                PaulFalde

Thanks to CodeCruncher. I don't think that my problem is related to what you describe. My pop-up menu frames are all set to "1 pt". I am able to select an item from the pop-up menu. It's after I select it that it sometimes hangs FM 12.

I hope to gain more experience with my issue later this week when I know that I'll be adding new entries in the same manner as brought out the problem that I initially described on this forum thread. If I get through the entire week without a single problem, that will raise my confidence that perhaps the Recover suggestion worked.

• 5. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                  codecruncher

Sounds good Paul. Just to let you know the recovery command should only be used to salvage records. I use it to check my databases for errors during development on a regular basis but only perform the recovery command on a copy of the file that I erase immediately after the recovery command does not show any errors. If the recovery command shows any errors I revert to my latest backup that did not have any issues.

One of my 'clean' files actually shows up as corrupted after conversion to FM 12 although it is meticulous maintained. I will take another look with the next update of FM 12. I know it's not the original file. My experience with the burnt-in frame illustrates that the conversion still has some bugs. Good luck!

• 6. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                    PaulFalde

Very interesting. Thanks CodeCruncher. What you describe is how I imagined recover may work. My impression from iDEViate's post was that it might work a little differently. Having no experience with recover myself, I'm learning lots from these posts. Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                      PaulFalde

I have not encountered this problem this week until now. Tonight, once again, I encountered this problem. Thus, I think that this encounter is fairly good evidence that "Recover" didn't resolve this issue. I can't think of anything else to try. I assume that this is a timing bug in FrameMaker Pro 12. I can only hope that the FM engineers find it soon and provide a fix. Depending on how many times I encounter this problem, I may fallback to FM Pro 11. (If that happens, I would surely like to get my money back for FM Pro 12.)

• 8. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                        TSGal

Paul Falde:

Thank you for your posts.

Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed?  If so, what are they?

In the original issue, you mention a drop-down menu, but in later references, you mention pop-up menu.  Although these are similar, these do act slightly differently.

How large is the value list being used for the drop-down/pop-up menu?  Are the values static?  Or, are the values taken from another table?

What other applications do you have running at the time of the crash?

Any other information you can provide to help replicate the issue would be appreciated.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                          PaulFalde
                          STGal:

> Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed?  If so, what are
                          > they?

I have no (i.e., zero) plug-ins.

> In the original issue, you mention a drop-down menu, but in later
                          > references, you mention pop-up menu.  Although these are similar,
                          > these do act slightly differently.

I apologize for the inconsistencies on my part.  I just
                          double-checked: it's pop-up menus where the problem is occurring.

> How large is the value list being used for the drop-down/pop-up
                          > menu?  Are the values static?  Or, are the values taken from
                          > another table?

It's happened on at least three different pop-up menus (all on the
                          same layout).  The sizes of those three are: 9 values, 12 values,
                          and 34 values.

The values for all these pop-up menus are static.

> What other applications do you have running at the time of the
                          > crash?
                          Applications in terms of apps on my Mac?  I have many applications
                          that are "running", many are idle, but they're "running".  (I
                          apologize if I'm misunderstanding your question).
                          > Any other information you can provide to help replicate the issue
                          > would be appreciated.

Here's a theory that my be groundless (take it for what it's
                          worth)...

I have multiple "web viewers" in this layout.  I assume that FM
                          uses some threading logic to asynchronously load these pages.  Is
                          it possible that that there's a thread-related timing window that
                          is causing this problem?  I'm usually moving pretty quickly between
                          records, while setting these popup-menu values which means the web
                          pages are being loaded and reloaded fairly often (reloaded because
                          I'm also bouncing between table view and form view frequently).
                          • 10. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                            PaulFalde
                            TSGal:

I had two failures (so far) this morning.  The first was the same
                            as all previous failures where I changed a value in a pop-up menu
                            and FM hung.

The second is more interesting though in that it wasn't directly
                            related to a pop-up menu change.  This time, I changed a text field
                            in the record and then tried to move on to the next record.  I have
                            a script to move between records which is bound to a function key.
                            The script is as follows:

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next]

As soon as I hit the function key that is bound to the above
                            script, FM hung.

That would seem to imply that the pop-up menu is a red-herring.
                            There's something more fundamentally wrong.

Has anybody else reported a problem such as this?
                            • 11. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                              codecruncher

What you are describing indicates that your file can crash whenever you move to a different record right after a field has been modified and the change has not been committed. Enter the 'Commit Records/Requests [No dialog]' script step prior to the 'Go to Record/Request/Page [Next] script step and see if FileMaker 12 still hangs.

• 12. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                                PaulFalde

CodeCruncher: But this is the first encounter of trying to move to a new record. All of the other encounters were not trying to move to a new record. Are you suggesting that the two different types of encounters (i.e., 1. pop-up menu and 2. moving to the next record) of this problem have different root causes?

• 13. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                                  codecruncher

I might have misinterpreted one of your prior posts:

I'm usually moving pretty quickly between

records, while setting these popup-menu values which means the web

pages are being loaded and reloaded fairly often...

• 14. Re: Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang
                                    PaulFalde

Ahh, got it. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I'm moving between records regularly, that's true. However, at the time of a pop-up menu hang, there's no attempt to move to another record at that moment.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next