Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

Description of the issue

This problem seems to be timing related. I have no idea how to characterize it. When I change a field with a pop-up menu, it usually works. However, there are times that the Beach Ball of Death is shown after I try to change the field and that session of FileMaker Pro is hung forever until I Force Quit it. I alway lose the updates that I made to that record when this occurs. I had this happen 5 times in 1.5 hours today!!! This is so frustrating that I'm considering moving back to FileMaker Pro 11.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can't reproduce this problem at will. I have a database with approximately 46,000+ records each record containing 43 fields. There are no relational links in this database. When the problem occurs is after I change a field with a pop-up menu entry. Typically, it changes the field immediately, but when this problem occurs, there's a couple seconds where nothing happens, and then the Beach Ball of Death strikes and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced is permanently hung.

Expected result

I expect the field to change immediately after I select a pop-up menu entry.

Actual result

Most times the field changes as expected, sometimes it hangs FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There is no error message, it just hangs.

Workaround

There are no workarounds that I have found. I may consider moving back to FileMaker Pro 11 but that apparently has a different file format now so I can only imagine what hoops I'll have to jump through to make that happen.

Outcomes