7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 3:10 PM by TSGal

Changing a Password Still a Problem

markleym

Summary

Changing a Password Still a Problem

Description of the issue

Several of my users reported having trouble changing their password PRIOR to logging into a database. They selected Change Password prior to login and went through the process, which looks as if it worked as the database does open. The next time they log in, however, the new password they just entered didn't work, BUT their old password did. I suggested they try to change their password AFTER they had logged in with their old password and then select Change Password from the pull-down. They did this and the next time they logged in, the new password did work. Conclusion: There apparently is still a bug in the password changing code in 10v3. We're running Win XP SP3 as the OS and Filemaker 10v3 on the desktop, and accessing FileMaker Server version 9.0.1.

• 1. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
          TSGal

markleym:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem.  This is my setup.

FileMaker Server 9.0v3 on Windows 2003

FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Windows XP SP3

In a test file, I created a user account, TSGal (with same password) with limited privileges, and it is set to change password next time I access the file.

I upload the file to FileMaker Server.

After launching FileMaker Pro, I access the file on the server with TSGal/TSGal, and I immediately get prompted to change the password, which I change to markleym.  After closing the file and accessing the file again, I enter TSGal/markleym and the file opens as usual.

I closed the file and opened it remotely again, and from the sign on screen, I click on "Change Password".  I then change my password back to TSGal, open the file and close it.  When I open the file remotely again, I enter TSGal/TSGal, and the file opens.

The only difference I see is that you are running FileMaker Server 9.0.1.  Looking over the release notes for FileMaker Server 9.0.2 and FileMaker Server 9.0.3, I do not see any problems pertaining to passwords being changed.  However, I would still advise updating your server to the latest release.  Please visit our web site for more information:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0v3_win_updater.html

If there is anything else you would like me to try here, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
            markleym

Thanks for the suggestion, TSGAL. I'll update the server s/w tomorrow AM and give it a try.

• 3. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
              markleym
                 I just updated our Win XP server to FM Server 9.3.325. No joy. Still experiencing no password change when selected prior to log-in. :(
              • 4. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
                philmodjunk
                   Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but how do you change your password "prior to log in"? Are you using external authentication?
                • 5. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
                  markleym

Thanks for the question. No, we're using standard Filemaker authentication.

Before you enter your password and hit enter, you can choose Change Password from a button on the log-in dialog box. Doing that apparently doesn't store the change and is the problem we're having. AFTER the person logs in i.e., enters their current password and opens the database, change password is an option pulldown under File. That works and is our current work around to the user changing his own password.

• 6. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
                    markleym
                       Sorry, I meant Filemaker Server 9.0.3.325.
                    • 7. Re: Changing a Password Still a Problem
                      TSGal

markleym:

This is perplexing.

Create a new database file with a test account with privileges, and try replicating the problem using the steps I took.  If this works properly, then there could be some damage to your original database file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.