Summary

Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

windows server 2012 R2 standard

Description of the issue

when uploading to the webserver the screen header does not faithfully reproduce on Chrome 34. IE 11 works fine. See Screenshots attached. You see that an unspecified inner rectangle appears inside the header.

chrome_34_webdirect_error.png

• 1. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
          TSGal

John Campbell:

Thank you for your post.

Using the standard Themes (Wave or Wave Touch seem similar), I cannot replicate the issue.  I know that doesn't help you, but I'll need more information to determine why this is occurring.

What FileMaker Theme are you using?

From the screen shots, it appears the color is a gradient.  What are the color settings of the gradient?

If you create a new Layout with the same gradient settings for the Header (no fields), does it show correctly in WebDirect?  If not, try adding some of the objects into the Header.  If possible, make a clone of the file, only include the one layout, and I"ll try to determine why this is failing.  If you want to go this route, check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
            johncampbell

Hi TSGal,

Thnaks for your response. I'm using a custom theme. See image for details.

I tried changing the header to solid colour and it worked ok (even in firefox!), which is a bit strange. Even though I kept the buttons as gradients (only using linear throughout, radial doesn't work in any browser).

I can live with solid colour, so thats a valid workaround for me, but it would be useful to know what the real restrictions are.

• 3. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
              TSGal

john campbell:

Thank you for most of the information.  I didn't have the color settings and I approximated, but I still can't replicate the issue using Chrome 34.0.1847.131 under Mac OS X 10.8.5 and Chrome 34.0.1847.131 m under Windows 7.  I get the full gradient color.

What occurs when you tried creating a new layout with just a gradient Header (no objects)?  Does this work?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                johncampbell

TSGal,

I created the new layout ("test layout"), the first 2 images show how I modify the header to change the colour and add the gradient. (BTW I do the same with the footer and that has the same problem.)

Then I upload and access the app and show the test layout from IE11 (3rd image), then Chrome 34 (4th image) . But somehow i have done something which eliminated the problem from the original header (and footer). I have no idea what I did, I did not consciously touch it.

• 5. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                  johncampbell
                  /files/4e0f8a9982/filemaker_chrome_test_2.png 1020x723
                  • 6. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                    TSGal

john campbell:

Thanks for the additional screen shots.  These type of sporadic issues also frustrate us, but nowhere near the level it affects you.

Since the original layout appears to have now changed, it could be a database issue.  Copy down the color settings for the gradient used on the layout, create a new database file, and change the header to match the gradient colors from the original file.  Upload this file to FileMaker Server and try accessing the file via Chrome.  Does the issue still occur?

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                      johncampbell

TSGal,

no worries about frustration, glad of the help.

I created a new db and modified the header of the layout as you describe. It looks fine in Chrome. Note that I did not set a custome theme, as I do not have it in this DB. see image.

• 8. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                        philmodjunk

This is quite the long shot, but...

I recently learned something about .fmp12 layouts when helping on another thread.

There is a "layout background" that can get an assigned color separate from the layout part fill colors. In the case of a file converted over from the older format, selecting the Delineate checkbox can cause the back ground color to "show through" in preview mode.

Obviously, this is a different situation, but have you checked the appearance settings for the layout background (go to the appearance tab with no objects selected) and the delineate check box setting in layout setup just to rule out a few possible factors in this?

• 9. Re: Chrome 34 not displaying header correctly in webdirect
                          johncampbell

I have the "Delineate fields on current record only" box unchecked. users of this app have no need to select individual records, or search/sort.