9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 10:57 AM by kohanmike

Closing Status Bar window size bug

kohanmike

Summary

Closing Status Bar window size bug

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:   FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 MacintoshOperating System(s) involved:   Mac OS 10.4.11 Detailed description of the issue:When hiding the Status Bar, the window reduces in size. It only happens when the window is near the bottom of screen. If the window is not near the bottom of the screen, showing the Status Bar enlarges the window down, and when subsequently hiding the Status Bar, it moves the window back up, always keeping it's original size. If the window is near the bottom of the screen, showing the Status Bar slides the layout down partially out of view, but when hiding the Status Bar, it improperly pulls the bottom of the window up rather than sliding the layout back into view. This is an obvious bug in that the if it knows enough to slide the layout down, it should know to slide it back up rather than reduce the size of the window.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:    1. Move a window near the bottom of the screen.    2. Show the Status Bar.   3. Hide the Status Bar. Expected Result:   The layout should slide up back into view. Actual Result:   The window reduces in size and does not show the part of the layout that is supposed to be visible. 

• 1. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
          TSGal

kohanmike:

Thank you for your post.

I am looking for a Mac with Tiger installed.  In the mean time, I tested this on both Leopard and Snow Leopard, and I was unable to duplicate the problem with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced.

I will keep you posted. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
            TSGal

kohanmike:

I was able to find a Tiger machine (Mac OS X 10.4.11), but I was unable to duplicate the problem.  That is, I moved a Window to the bottom of the screen (full size, smaller size, left and right sides), and when I showed the Status Bar, the layout would extend below the bottom of the screen.  When I hid the Status Bar, the layout did slide up back into view.  I tried this with setting Dock to Hide and Unhide.  In each case, it does not reduce the size of the window.

On my Leopard and Snow Leopard machines, the Status Bar expands upwards when the Status Bar is shown.  It does not push the layout downward out of view.

Let me know your Dock settings and any other information so I can make a better attempt to replicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
              kohanmike

My dock is at the bottom of the screen, no magnification, no hiding. I'm on a MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4mhz Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, display set to 800x1280.

Further testing (I'm using a script to set 4 fields for the size and position of the window):

1. Window size is 653x1149, top at 0, left side at 0. Showing the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window down and slides the layout down out of view a little, the window becomes 711x1149. Hiding the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window up and slides the layout back into the proper original size.

2. Moving the bottom of the window down to make it 715x1149, Showing the Status Bar does not move the bottom of the window, but slides the layout down out of view a little. Hiding the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window up and slides the layout up, making the window 657x1149.

3. Moving the entire 653x1149 window down to near or right at the Dock, showing the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window down behind the Dock and slides the layout out of view a little, making the window 711x1149. Hiding the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window up and slides the layout back into the proper original size.

4. Making the window the full size of the screen, 738x1280, showing the Status Bar does not move the bottom of the window, but slides the layout down. Hiding the Status Bar moves the bottom of the window up and slides the layout up, making the window 680x1280.

It never moves the top of the window up, even if I leave plenty of room up there. 

• 4. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                kohanmike
                   Have you made any further tests on this? I'm a little reluctant to upgrade to Snow Leopard with all the bug reports I'm seeing here.
                • 5. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                  TSGal

kohanmike:

Sorry for the late reply.  I'll have access to that machine again tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                    TSGal

kohanmike:

I did not need to use the Tiger machine.  I have followed your instructions precisely, and I was able to replicate the problem on Mac OS X 10.5.8.  I am sending your instructions, along with my file to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                      kohanmike
                         Thanks very much.
                      • 8. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                        TSGal

kohanmike:

I have received confirmation that this was previously reported and verified.  I have also confirmed this occurs with Snow Leopard.  The only workaround is to add a Move/Resize Window script (back to the original window height) after the Show/Hide Status Bar [Hide] script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Closing Status Bar window size bug
                          kohanmike
                             Thanks.