1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2013 12:13 PM by Fred(CH)

Cmd-Tab application switching to FileMaker doesn't work?

Summary

Cmd-Tab application switching to FileMaker doesn't work?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.03 & 12.04

Operating system version

Description of the issue

When I hit cmd-tab to switch to an open FileMaker window, the window does not become active, the application itself does not become active (i.e. the menu bar does not switch to "FileMaker" menus/app), and the desktop doesn't switch to a Space that has FM in it.  (I am using the OS X Spaces.)  This problem is present about 90% of the time.  In a very few instances it DOES properly switch, but not many.  This problem does not appear to affect any other applications, i.e. they all properly bring a window up, switch to the proper Space, and switch the menu bar.  (This problem also affects a FM runtime that I use; it also doesn't properly switch.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open FM in say, Space 3 (of 4).  Open another application in a different Space (or even in the SAME Space).  Try to Cmd-Tab application switch from App2 to FM:  App2 window appears to lose focus (i.e. the window colors dim), but the App Menu bar is still that of App2, FM does not bring a window forward.

Expected result

FM should bring it's window up, the Space should switch to the one with FM in it, the Menu Bar should reflect that FM is the active application.

Actual result

Nothing switches.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

Mac OS X 10.8.3, using Spaces.  FMPA 12.04 (also happened on 12.03).

Workaround

USUALLY hitting cmd-tilde after hitting cmd-tab to select FM would cause a FM window to become active and it would switch spaces.  But that wasn't working today, hence my annoyance grew to the point where I would submit this report.  :) 

I haven't been able to figure out what the conditions are when it works as it should that 10% of the time.  90% of the time it doesn't work.

• 1. Re: Cmd-Tab application switching to FileMaker doesn't work?
          Fred(CH)

Hi Justin,

Thank you for posting. I have a similar issue since few months. To know if it we are living with the same issue, could you please confirm this workaround :

if you first activate the Finder with cmd-tab AND then, repeat to activate FileMaker Pro, it always works !

For me, this issue only occurs when the active app isn't the Finder.

Let us know...

Bye, Fred