4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 1:13 PM by tSo

Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View

tSo

Summary

Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View

Description of the issue

The resize column feature does not work consistently in Table view. This problem appears to occur on layouts with many fields. Columns can be reduced, but not expanded. Once a column has been reduced, it cannot be expanded to it's original size. Clicking and dragging the resize arrow at the top of the column has no effect, and the Set Column Width command does not work. Hiding several fields allowed me to expand the column again. I've found this problem occurs on my PC running Windows 7, and my Macintosh running Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

• 1. Re: Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View
          LaRetta_1

There is a maximum size for layouts and it applies to tables as well.  It is 8000 px.  This applies horizontally as well as vertically.  It adds together any parts (such as header, body and footer).   So it isn't limited to the number of fields but overall size width of them.

This behavior is a bit different than vs. 10 which, when fields were placed on the layout in layout mode, they were there forever (even if you unchecked them in browse mode) - they would count in the overall width of the layout in table view.  So when FM created the opening layout (which was table view) and all the fields were on it, you would be stuck.

Now, you can uncheck some fields and add new fields directly in the table and it will accept them.   Correction ... it appears to resize all prior fields smaller and smaller to accept more new fields.  But it will eventually stop allowing new fields. 

• 2. Re: Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View
            tSo

Thank you for replying so quickly. I thought there might be something like that going on.

One question: If I reduce a column, how come I can't expand it to it's original size?

I have to hide a field or two in order to expand a column I've just reduced.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View
              LaRetta_1

Table view appears to try to help.  It might be because another field has been popped onto the end.  It does this auto resizing thing and it will allow resize larger but only if there is enough space which hasn't been taken up by adding a new field.

I haven't played enough with vs. 11 tables to verify the behavior change; in fact, this is the first time I've played with resizing and adding fields.  Overall I like the new behavior.  But I do NOT like it resizing the fields for me - I want the description field wide and not have it auto reduced if I addidently resize a different column or have it add new fields.  A User might want only a limited number of fields for a report!! 

UPDATE:  This resizing issue might get on my nerves.  When fields are removed, it expands them again as well.  I believe this means that, since it expanded other fields when you reduced a column width, then you can't predictably expand it again.   :smileyhappy:

• 4. Re: Columns Do Not Resize Consistently in Table View
                tSo

Thank you for taking the time to clarify this for me.