AnsweredAssumed Answered

Comments in calcs are escaped when they shouldn't be

Question asked by fitch on Dec 12, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 by TSGal

Summary

Comments in calcs are escaped when they shouldn't be

Description of the issue

This is a minor annoyance, but I think it qualifies as a bug: FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 9.0v3Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.5 / Windows tooDetailed description of the issue:Sometimes I want to type a formula into a script parameter, a variable, or a comment, etc.; essentially anywhere you can invoke the calculation engine. I escape my text as a comment, and that's all the calculation dialog contains: just a commented text block, no actual calculation. If my text contains quotes or other characters that are normally escaped in a calculation, they will be escaped; whereas normally text in comment blocks is not escaped.  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.Create a variable in a script.2. Put a comment in the text in the double-slash or slash-asterisk style. E.g.:  /* I am a "comment." */3. Click OKExpected Result: /* I am a "comment." */Actual Result: /* I am a \"comment.\" */Any workarounds that you have found:If you preface the comment block with a pair of empty quotes it will accept the calculation properly, e.g.:""  /* I am a "comment." */

Outcomes