NickTsotsikyan

Summary

Communication with the host was lost message

Version

FileMaker 11

Operating system version

Windows XP and 7

Description of the issue

When I connect and open a file on FileMaker Server through my laptop and after I lose connection I get error message "communication with the host was lost".  Is there anyway of capturing this message?

Thanks,
      Nick

• 1. Re: Communication with the host was lost message

Nicktssp:

Thank you for your post.

Is the database being accessed from the FileMaker Server or locally with FileMaker Pro? This information will help determine the best way to perform the capture since a local script would likely fail to a lost connection. What is the overall goal and how will capturing the error message help? 

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Communication with the host was lost message
            NickTsotsikyan

Thank you for the reply!  The database is being accessed from FileMaker Server through my vpn with FileMaker pro from my laptop.  This is normally done out in the field with an internet card.

My overall goal is to capture the lost connection message if it is even possible.  I am basically trying to create a better enviornment for the user not to get hit with the lost connection message (which could happen 1-10 times during a day).  Instead I would like to direct the user to reconnect to the vpn if they try to access a database on the server.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Communication with the host was lost message

Nicktssp:

Thank you for your prompt reply.

By Internet card do you mean a cellular data card like a 3G WiFi card? Is the connection to the VPN being lost or does the user simply lose the connection to the FileMaker Server?

You could use a local database file as a launcher file that performs an open remote script. If the script fails to open the hosted file, then you could capture error 802, “Unable to open file.”

TSFalcon
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Communication with the host was lost message
                NickTsotsikyan

Thank you.  Yes by a cellular data 3G card.  The VPN connection is being lost and when connected to a file on the server, the message pops up "connection with the host was lost...).  I already have it set so if a user wants to open a file on the server and the VPN connection is not established, they already get a message that prompts them to reconnect to the vpn.

My goal is when they already are connected and have a file open on the server and the VPN connection drops during the time the file on the server is open, to at that point capture the error message "connection wth the host was lost".

Again, I can't think of any possible way of capturing the message when the file is already open and the vpn drops but I thought I'd ask.