Version

11 v2

Operating system version

OSX 10.5.8

Description of the issue

Data from 2 different value list entries get concatenated in dropdown

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Choose item in dropdown value list

2. Double-click in dropdown data area which leaves a blinking cursor.

3. Choose another item in dropdown value list

Expected result

2nd choice should replace 1st choice in dropdown data area

Actual result

Dropdown data area now displays concatenated data from both choices.  Attached screenshot shows this result where value list choices are "Heaven" and "Hell"

Configuration information

None.

Workaround

Putting validation on dropdown field will generate a Revert error message, but still doesn't prevent this from happening in the first place.

Concatenated_Data.png

• 1. Re: Concatenation of data in dropdown
          TSGal

mattb:

Thank you for your post.

This works the same as it did in previous versions of FileMaker Pro.  If you include the arrow to show and hide the list, you can select multiple values.  If you do not include the arrow, then you can only select one value or enter your own value.  If you want the user to specify one choice, then use a pop-up menu instead of a drop-down.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Concatenation of data in dropdown
            mattb

TSGal:

You are completely ignoring the actual BUG here.  The point is that with the arrow showing on the dropdown, you can activate a cursor by double-clicking in the middle of the data area of the dropdown, then click on the arrow to view the list, make another choice, and the new choice's data will be inserted in the middle of the first choice right at the cursor's insertion point.  This is not a question of wanting to be able to select multiple values. 

The fact that this works the same in older versions of FMP is irrelevant.  A bug is a bug is a bug - I don't think anybody in their right mind would want data from one value list item inserted in the middle of data from another value list item - do you?

I am writing a commercial program that is for sale to the general public and this dropdown behavior is not even remotely acceptable.  I have converted all of the dropdowns in my program to popups, because I have to, not because I want to.  I am actually aghast that nobody else here thinks this is a problem.  At least admit that you can duplicate this behavior and wind up with the results I'm describing - it's extremely easy to do.  As a matter of fact, the client I am writing the program for was able to produce this bug within 15 seconds of using the dropdown - not a good sign for what paying customers might do.

• 3. Re: Concatenation of data in dropdown
              TSGal

mattb:

Yes, I can "duplicate this behavior and wind up with the results" you are describing.  Again, if you do not want to select multiple values, then use a pop-up menu.  If you want to select one value but add to it, use a drop-down list.  A drop-down list with an arrow will allow you to insert multiple options.

It appears you are proposing an option with an arrow to insert an additional value list item either before or after the current contents and not at the current cursor position.  I would encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These suggestions are monitored and read by members of Development and Product Management and then discussed and considered for a future release.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.