Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0 v2

Operating system version

OS X 10.8.2

Description of the issue

Major bug in FileMaker Pro:

If you have fields in your body part that are set to "slide up based on ALL objects above", they do NOT RESPECT THAT CHOICE if you have conditional formatting applied to the fields' fill color.

If the fields change their fill color based on conditional formatting, the the fields will ONLY SLIDE UP based on OBJECTS DIRECTLY ABOVE.

Even though you told it to slide up based on ALL OBJECTS ABOVE, if there is conditional fill color formatting that changes the color of the fields, the fields will only slide up based on OBJECTS DIRECTLY ABOVE.

See screenshot #1 below in preview mode.
      See screenshot #2 below in layout mode.

Please fix ASAP.

Screenshot #1 (preview mode):

Screen_Shot_2012-10-09_at_5.39.34_PM.png

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
          scottworld

Screenshot #2 (layout mode):

• 2. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
            scottworld

Ironically enough, if you MANUALLY SET A FILL COLOR, the problem gets even worse because in preview mode, FileMaker won't show the fill color at all!

• 3. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
              philmodjunk

Actually, the layout appears to me to be working correctly. The "only above" vs. "all above" settings only make a difference for fields that are part of the same record, they won't under any circumstances slide into the space occupied by the record above it. Take your layout and add additional fields (or just copies of the ones you have), make the body larger and then put these fields below the original with the same sliding options. If you then select "only above", you'll see the fields slide up such that the rows no longer are perfectly aligned within each record.

Please note that I tested both settings in Filemaker 11 and 12 before posting and got identical behavior in both with one exception:

if you MANUALLY SET A FILL COLOR, the problem gets even worse because in preview mode, FileMaker won't show the fill color at all!

Open layout setup for your layout and clear the "Delineate" check box. Otherwise, only the "current record" will display field border and fill settings. (And I do consider that a "bug" as this setting should not affect preview and print modes.)

• 4. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                scottworld

Thanks Phil, but I don't think you understand what I'm trying to accomplish with the sliding fields. I would NEVER want a record to slide into the space occupied by the record above it.  What I want is a record's height to only take up the necessary height needed to display its information, and nothing more. See attached screenshot of how sliding objects is SUPPOSED to work with NO FILL COLOR attached to the fields. Each record either takes up 1 line or 2 lines, depending on how much information is in the record.

• 5. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                  scottworld

However, THANK YOU for explaining that bug to me about "delineate records"... I didn't know about that bug. That helps tremendously. But once I uncheck that box, the original bug that I'm trying to report comes back... the fill colors themselves are sliding up based on what's directly above them, not based on ALL the other fields on the layout. What I would EXPECT is that the fill color would not slide for the "2-line records", but rather that the fill color would ONLY SLIDE for the "1-line records".  Check out the attached screenshot. And yes, I have that horizontal bar set to "slide up based on all records above" also.

• 6. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                    scottworld

And here's how the layout looks in Layout mode. Again, I just want the "orange fill" version of the layout to look identically to the "no color fill" version of the layout... I don't want the fill color to slide up.

• 7. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                      philmodjunk

The two sliding settings affect the position of a field's top edge, not its height. With both settings, the fields individually reduce in size to fit the text that they contain. This is the same for Filemaker 11 and earlier as it is in FileMaker 12. Specifying a conditional format does not change this behavior.

Please note that I'm not saying this is desirable as this results in frustrating issues when trying to set up a tabular layout with borders and/or fill colors where the row height needs to vary to allow for variations in the amount of text. I'm just pointing out that for may years and versions, this is how it has worked.

You may want to change the text color conditionally instead of the fill color.

• 8. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                        scottworld

Ah, thanks for the explanation of how sliding works, Phil... that explains why I've never been able to have borders around my fields when using sliding. I wish sliding affected the field's height instead of its top edge, but oh well. That other thing I mentioned above IS definitely a bug, though, as you pointed out... the fact that you have turn off that new option for "delineating records".

• 9. Re: Conditional Formatting prevents fields from sliding up
                          philmodjunk

I can get horizontal borders by adding a horizontal line below the fields that stretches across all the columns and then I set it to slide and resize just like the fields but verticalsare more difficult. To get the verticals, you draw in vertical lines, but extend them one pt longer than the body is tall and position them so that extra bit of line extends into the footer.