1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 10:04 AM by ccflier

Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade

CharlesZ

Summary

Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade

Description of the issue

Is anyone else having trouble after upgrading to Snow Leopard?  I am using FMP Advanced 10.0v3 and in the 2 days since upgrading to Snow Leopard I am experiencing frequent crashes in a file that has been totally stable in the past.  In the past two days I've had 10 crashes daily, compared to probably 10 crashes / freezes in the past year and a half of using this file.  Crashes happening during all manner of operations (none involving exporting or any other "known issues" for Snow Leopard) -- editing layouts, saving script changes, performing finds.

• 1. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
          TSGal

CharlesZ:

Thank you for your post.

Is there anything specific that is causing a crash?  You mention editing layouts, saving script changes and performing finds.  Are these crashes inconsistent or can you duplicate them easily?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro?

Any additional information you can provide may help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
            CharlesZ

There is no specific action that I can tell is causing the crashes.  There's no single behavior I can take to replicate the crashes.  It's totally inconsistent -- I can perform 20 finds without a problem, execute 10 scripts, edit 5 scripts without error, and then all of the sudden if I do one of these things it will crash.  I get a momentary freeze, a spinning color wheel, and then about 5 seconds later the message saying that FileMaker experienced a problem and had to close.

I just spent two hours uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker, and then recovering my file from a backup from earlier today (since after about the 20th crash the file became damaged and would no longer open).  I installed the 10.0v3 update and got about 20 minutes into recovering the hour of work that I'd lost between the final fatal crash and my previous backup, and then it crashed again -- this time while saving changes to a script.

I'm now disabling and uninstalling all of the plugins that I had running -- except I have to keep SyncDeK running as this is absolutely critical to my business.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as this is crippling my business. 

• 3. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
              dhrowe

From your post it sounds like you have recovered the file before -  

You are using the file locally or on a server?

When it crashed in the past you went to an earlier version or did a recover?

The official or sometime unofficial news has been use the recover command to get the data out, not the file.

My 2c 

• 4. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                CharlesZ

Local file.

I've never recovered it before the other day - and after that recovery I went to an earlier version and manually re-entered the data lost between that backup and the crash, as well as re-doing layout changes, etc. because I was too paranoid to have the working copy "contaminated" with any part of the recovered file.

My fault for upgrading to a new OS on a mission-critical computer . . . I'm a relatively recent convert to Mac (1 year) and foolishly thought that it would be a safe thing to do.  Learned that lesson.  FileMaker is the only application I've been having trouble with since upgrading to Snow Leopard, although since it's by far the program I'm using most frequently on this machine, it could be an issue not specifically related to FMP.  The problem report for the continual crashes gives the following error message:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000e8243489

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 

• 5. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                  TSGal

DavidTrap:

Thank you for your post.

A couple of other users have had difficulty after installing Snow Leopard.  Most users are able to get it working again after they uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.  Please try this and let us know the outcome.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                    TSGal

CharlesZ:

It may or may not be an issue related to FileMaker Pro.  However, Snow Leopard is brand new, and we (FileMaker, Inc.) are trying to get as much information from people having problems.  I know the problem is inconsistent, and those types of problems are the most difficult to diagnose.

Do you have access to another machine with Snow Leopard?  If so, install FileMaker Pro on that machine and work with the file.  See if you are able to replicate the problem.  If so, it very well may be a FileMaker/Snow Leopard/database problem.  Please continue to keep us updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                      FluffyBear

We're not on 10.7, but going from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 causes a lot of crashes for us in the last 2 weeks,  1 crash daily on the server.  They might be related...   We have not been able to narrow down any specific actions causing them,  and the only thing that was done to the machine was the 10.5.8 upgrade.  Ive got a description of at http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=us-fms&thread.id=2540

Do you have any other plugins or data sources outside of FM that you are using?

• 8. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                        michaelb_1
                           I too am experiencing constant repeatable crashes on multiple databases with FMP 10 Advanced 10.3v3 after upgrading to snow leopard. The crashes have been traced to all my databases with layouts that use a web portal window and the "file" construct. Apparently FMP is not happy about retrieving or displaying pdf files in a web portal window.
                        • 9. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                          michaelb_1

This is a link to a specific thread on the topic of the web viewer crashing.

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=3789 

• 10. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                            TSGal

michaelb:

I have replied to your post in the other thread.

For those who have not read it, a couple of users have experienced crashes with a web viewer that displays a PDF file on a local drive (using file:/// construct).  I have been unable to reproduce this problem, and I have asked the users for files so I can try it here.

If any of you can find a problem that occurs in Snow Leopard that doesn't occur in Leopard, PLEASE let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                              PLacoste

We experiencing exactly the same problem.  After update to v10.6 we have frequent crashes in a file that has been totally stable in the past.  Spinning wheel appear frequently.

Our system: 10.6

FMPro version: 10.0v3

Database: Network

Server: v9.0x 

The problem is linked to the 10.6 because all other network computer work find (Mac or PC).

• 12. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                                michaelb_1

The crashes with pdf viewer were eliminated on our system. It is the Adobe PDF Viewer version 9.1.0. I removed it "AdobePDFViewer.plugin" from Library/Internet Plug-Ins, and voila, the pdfs come up, no more crashes! Without the Adobe PDF Viewer, the FMP web viewer apparently invokes the OS X default pdf reader which works fine.

PLacoste, are you all using the Adobe PDF viewer, and if you are, does removing it correct the problem?  

See this thread for the specific pdf viewer issue:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=3789

• 13. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                                  patrick.risch

Experiencing random crashes as well.

10.6 worked fine for me, since 10.6.1 I get randomly crashes.

Here the console:

02.10.09 09:55:22 [0x0-0x15015].com.filemaker.client.advanced[216] FileMaker Pro(216,0xa0908500) malloc: *** error for object 0x2452f374: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

02.10.09 09:55:22 [0x0-0x15015].com.filemaker.client.advanced[216] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

02.10.09 10:05:37 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[168] ([0x0-0x15015].com.filemaker.client.advanced[216]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

02.10.09 10:05:38 ReportCrash[265] Saved crash report for FileMaker Pro[216] version 10.0.3 (10.0.3) to /Users/pari/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/FileMaker Pro_2009-10-02-100538_MacBook-Pro.crash 

Here the Crash report:

Process:         FileMaker Pro [216]

Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced

Version:         10.0.3 (10.0.3)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [168]

Date/Time:       2009-10-02 10:05:31.216 +0200

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          11543 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           3

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  51385 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   3

Anonymous UUID:                      462E9981-7317-4A69-AB52-470FD2BDD77A

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000332e3ce4

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001cb796 FMCatalogPopup::SetCatalog(Draco::DBCatalog*, bool) + 22

1   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0017eda9 CSpecifyFieldForScriptDlog::SetItems() + 73

2   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0017f461 CSpecifyFieldForScriptDlog::OnInitDialog() + 33

3   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0004da5e CMacDialog::DoModal() + 174

4   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0025662a CFMDialog::DoModal() + 106

5   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003c1237 SaveVerbOptions_EnvRec<CFMDialog>::ReadCheckBox(Draco::ScriptStep::StepFlags, short) + 1303

6   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003c4458 SaveVerbOptions_EnvRec<CFMDialog>::SaveVerbOptions_Env(TVerbDlogTypeRec<CFMDialog>*, Draco::RefCountedObjPtr<Draco::DBCatalogItemList>&, Draco::ScriptStep&, short) + 440

7   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003bd596 SCRIPTS_SaveVerbOptions(TVerbDlogTypeRec<CFMDialog>*, Draco::RefCountedObjPtr<Draco::DBCatalogItemList>&, Draco::ScriptStep&, short) + 54

8   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003b61e0 CEditScriptDlog::ApplyScriptOptions(short) + 320

9   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x003b6395 CEditScriptDlog::OnSpecifyButton() + 53

10  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00036838 CMacCmdTarget::OnCmdMsg(unsigned int, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 296

11  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000473d7 XDialog::OnCmdMsg(unsigned int, int, void*, MAC_CMDHANDLERINFO*) + 87

12  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000c56a2 CMacWnd::OnWndMsg(unsigned int, unsigned int, long, long*) + 274

13  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000475ad XDialog::OnWndMsg(unsigned int, unsigned int, long, long*) + 61

14  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000c5e74 CMacWnd::SendWndMsg(unsigned int, void*, void*) + 52

15  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00043ede LCPaneBase<LPushButton>::SendNotification(unsigned int, unsigned int, void*) + 158

16  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0003b25a LCPushButton::HotSpotResult(short) + 58

17  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0065bc4e LWindow::ClickInContent(EventRecord const&) + 278

18  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x0064bd60 LEventDispatcher::EventMouseDown(EventRecord const&) + 206

19  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000509da CMacEventPump::PreTranslateEvent(EventRecord*) + 186

20  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000508db CMacEventPump::PumpEvent(EventRecord&) + 75

21  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00050e69 CMacEventPump::Run() + 249

22  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000342b0 CMacApp::Main() + 112

23  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x001ac395 main + 37

24  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000035c2 _start + 216

25  com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x000034e9 start + 41

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

eax: 0x00000001  ebx: 0x22d081a0  ecx: 0x24452f3c  edx: 0x332e3ce4

edi: 0xbfffef00  esi: 0xbfffef00  ebp: 0xbfffed28  esp: 0xbfffed00

ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010286  eip: 0x001cb796   cs: 0x00000017

ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037

cr2: 0x332e3ce4

• 14. Re: Constant crashes after Snow Leopard upgrade
                                    TSGal

patrick.risch:

I use FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced on two Mac machines, one using Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and the other 10.5.8.  I have not experienced any crashes.  I am aware this doesn't help you.

I have taken your post and sent it to our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for analysis.  However, in the mean time, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced, just to make sure FileMaker Pro was not altered during the Snow Leopard upgrade process (it shouldn't have been).  Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next