4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 11:55 AM by TSGal

    Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

      Summary

      Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

      Description of the issue

      I have a music database. It has a container field where I store references to images of album covers stored in a separate folder. In FM 9 I could make a found set of records, Insert an image into the first record and then Cmd= and choose Replace to populate the set. This crashes the program in FM 10. The other fields work correctly. But in this container field the program freezes. If I click the 'Stop' button in the dialogue that button disappears and the program remains frozen. I must Force Quit and do them all manually. 

        • 1. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
          TSGal

          edmouse:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

           

          1. I launched FileMaker Pro 10.

          2. I opened a database that was created in FileMaker Pro 9 and contains a container field.

          3. I found a set of records, inserted a graphic as a reference, pressed command-=, and replaced across the found set.

          4. I created a new database file in FileMaker Pro 10 with a container field.

          5. I created 10 records, put my cursor in the Container field, pressed command-= and replaced.

           

          I did this on an iMac running OS X 10.5.5.

           

          If I'm leaving out any steps, please let me know.  Please give me your computer set up, and I will try to duplicate the problem here.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc. 

          • 2. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
              

            TSGal,

             

            Thank you so much for the reply. I'll do what I can to give more detail about how I've set up my database. Perhaps I'll find an error.

             

            In the meantime I'm in 10.5.6 on a 17" MacBook Pro Intel 2.4G, the one before the current one.

             

            My database also contains a few different files that are relationally linked. I'll try it there too and report back to you. 

             

            Thank you so much again.  

            • 3. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
                

              TSGal,

               

              I must tell you it just worked. It had happened twice before so I thought I was justified in posting a bug report. Perhaps it was as simple as restarting the computer. But it just did what I was describing successfully, to a set of 10 records.

               

              I noticed that the 'Reference' box was not checked yesterday after I reported to you, even though that is how I always had it set. Perhaps it was working but taking awhile loading each graphic rather than referencing them. Since I am familiar with it happening very quickly maybe I got impatient. In that case stopping the process caused a problem. But I don't want to claim that.

               

              Thank you again for such a quick response and thank you for taking the time.

              Eddie 

              • 4. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
                TSGal

                edmouse:

                 

                First, and foremost, I'm glad it is working for you.

                 

                I did a replace with and without the "Reference" box checked, and it worked in both cases.  I know that doesn't help you, but thought I would mention it anyway.

                 

                TSGal

                FileMaker, Inc.