4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 11:55 AM by TSGal

Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

Summary

Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

Description of the issue

I have a music database. It has a container field where I store references to images of album covers stored in a separate folder. In FM 9 I could make a found set of records, Insert an image into the first record and then Cmd= and choose Replace to populate the set. This crashes the program in FM 10. The other fields work correctly. But in this container field the program freezes. If I click the 'Stop' button in the dialogue that button disappears and the program remains frozen. I must Force Quit and do them all manually. 

• 1. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
          TSGal

edmouse:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. I launched FileMaker Pro 10.

2. I opened a database that was created in FileMaker Pro 9 and contains a container field.

3. I found a set of records, inserted a graphic as a reference, pressed command-=, and replaced across the found set.

4. I created a new database file in FileMaker Pro 10 with a container field.

5. I created 10 records, put my cursor in the Container field, pressed command-= and replaced.

I did this on an iMac running OS X 10.5.5.

If I'm leaving out any steps, please let me know.  Please give me your computer set up, and I will try to duplicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

TSGal,

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll do what I can to give more detail about how I've set up my database. Perhaps I'll find an error.

In the meantime I'm in 10.5.6 on a 17" MacBook Pro Intel 2.4G, the one before the current one.

My database also contains a few different files that are relationally linked. I'll try it there too and report back to you. 

Thank you so much again.  

• 3. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error

TSGal,

I must tell you it just worked. It had happened twice before so I thought I was justified in posting a bug report. Perhaps it was as simple as restarting the computer. But it just did what I was describing successfully, to a set of 10 records.

I noticed that the 'Reference' box was not checked yesterday after I reported to you, even though that is how I always had it set. Perhaps it was working but taking awhile loading each graphic rather than referencing them. Since I am familiar with it happening very quickly maybe I got impatient. In that case stopping the process caused a problem. But I don't want to claim that.

Thank you again for such a quick response and thank you for taking the time.

Eddie 

• 4. Re: Container field "Replace Field Contents" error
                TSGal

edmouse:

First, and foremost, I'm glad it is working for you.

I did a replace with and without the "Reference" box checked, and it worked in both cases.  I know that doesn't help you, but thought I would mention it anyway.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.