Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 v1

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

We place a lot of PDF's into container fields.  Under version 11, you simply right clicked and followed the steps to insert your PDF.  The new version appears to have a menu item for "Insert PDF" but that is grayed out and cannot be selected.

All previous PDF's that are currently in the container fields work fine and can be launched directly from FM by double clicking.  You can place a new PDF in by dragging it on top of the container field and it appears there but you cannot launch it. 

Is this a problem, is there an option that needs to be selected somewhere or what?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Nothing special to reproduce it.

Expected result

You cannot insert PDF's.

Actual result

Item grayed out.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

Workaround

Can not do  screen shot.

• 1. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
          philmodjunk

In windows, previous versions of Filemaker did not have the Insert PDF option, you'd use the insert file option instead. To use the insert PDF option, first enter layout mode, select the container field on your layout and then go to the very bottom of the inspector's data tab and select the "interactive" option for container fields.

Then you should be able to insert a PDF into the container field.

• 2. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
            bbernosky

Thanks but that doesn't solve the problem.  I have played with the whole interactive options for the past couple of days.  I don't want to interact with the PDF within FM.  Our container fields are very small fields 1 inch X 1 inch.  You really cannot interact with that size.  In FM 11, after a PDF was placed in the container field, we simply double clicked to open the PDF document.  I am not seeing how in FM 12 that is possible.  I can see the interact option be OK for video and sound with the right size container fields but with PDF, it makes much more sense to launch Acrobat to read the documents.

As I mentioned in the original post, any PDF's placed in the container fields before the upgrade work fine, it is only documents placed in after the upgrade that won't open according th plan.

• 3. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
              philmodjunk

As I mentioned in the original post, any PDF's placed in the container fields before the upgrade work fine

And as I mentioned before, these were not inserted with Insert PDF as this menu option did not exist in earlier versions. They were inserted with Insert File--an option that is not currently greyed out for you--only Insert PDF--a new feature that is only enabled if you specify the Interactive option in data formatting.

Thus, you have two choices: continue to use insert file or enable the container field to be interactive so that you can use Insert PDF.

PS. If you were using macs before, insert picture was often used to insert a PDF in older versions of FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                bbernosky

Thanks again but that does not solve the problem.  Been down that road.   The insert file works fine and puts the PDF in the container.  However, you cannot open the PDF by double clicking it.  I have not found an easy way to open it from within the container field.  In FM 11, you simply double clicked the field and it launched either Acrobat Reader or Acrobat depending what was loaded on a machine.  Now the only way to open it that I have found out is to Select the "Export Field Contents" which brings up a save dialog box and select the option to open the file after it saves.  The problem with that is that now there will be PDF's on the local computer.  

Thinking this was a possible corrupt database field, I created a contacts file from the starter solution.  In the solution, they have a container field.  You can get a PDF into that field and it looks great (the PDF icon) on the screen but you cannot open that file.

I am open to all ideas.

• 5. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                  philmodjunk

Did you select the "store a reference" option?

Only files that have been inserted with that option selected can be opened by double clicking. This has not changed from Filemaker 11.

• 6. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                    bbernosky

I did not see an option for that anywhere.  Where is it located?  Is this a new feature in FM 12?

• 7. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                      philmodjunk

That feature has been around for many releases of Filemaker. It's a check box in the dialog that pops up when you select a file to insert into a container field. Insert PDF and Insert File--with store a reference selected--put a file path in the container field and double clicking the container field is a kind of "short cut" where FileMaker passes the file path from the container field to the operating system and gets it to open the file pointed to by that file path. The operating system then uses the system settings to determine what application (such as Adobe Reader) to use to open the file.

This doesn't work for files physically stored in the container field because there is no filepath to a file to pass on to the operating system.

For some reason, this does not work for files inserted with the Insert Picture option even when Store a Reference is specified. That never made sense to me as the container field does store a reference, but apparently, the FileMaker Inc. programmers never included the needed code to extract the filepath from container fields where insert picture was used. (There's an extra line with the image's pixel dimensions inserted in front of the file path.)

• 8. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                        bbernosky

Thanks.  The mystery is solved.  In FM 11, we used "Insert Object" which allowed for the user to select what type of document they were inserting and for us, it was Acrobat.  That worked great.  Now, it appears that we have to use the Insert File and select the "Store only..." checkbox as indicated in the screen shot above.  Just a slightly different way of getting to the same results.  Thanks for the help

• 9. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                          philmodjunk

Yep. Insert Object, a windows only feature using object linking and embedding (OLE), is not supported by FileMaker 12.

• 10. Re: Container field - Insert PDF field grayed out
                            DaWood

I had this same problem as well for FM12 Pro. I had one computer that can "interact" with the PDF container field while other computers cannot. Comparing the two, I realized the computers did not have the latest Adobe reader. So I downloaded the lasted Adobe reader version, reboot the computer, and wala...it can now interact with the PDF container field. The only downside is now the other computers will have to be updated with the latest Adobe Reader.