container field issue

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v4

Operating system version

windows 7 64bit

Description of the issue

when importing an excel, or power point file into a container found in a portal, the file becomes untitled.dat and unusable.

Steps to reproduce the problem

create two tables linked by a unique key. In one of the tables create a container field in the other table create a portal that shows the values of the container field. make sure that you can create new records through this portal and try to import an excel file through the portal. it will become untitled.dat and unusable. all other files that i have tried work (including word, .txt, tab delimited, and .ods files)

Expected result

creates a new record and has the excel file in the container

Actual result

creates a new record and has untitled.dat in the container

Workaround

save the file as an .ods file before importing

excelproblem.PNG

• 1. Re: container field issue
          TSGal

casey lanham:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have immediate access to a Windows 7 64-bit machine.  On a Windows 7 32-bit machine, I have been unable to replicate the issue.  I can insert sample Microsoft Powerpoint files and sample Microsoft Excel files into a Container field.  When I get access to a 64-bit machine, I will test again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: container field issue
            TSGal

casey lanham:

I acquired access to a Windows 7 64-bit machine, and using FileMaker Pro 13.0v4, I was still unable to replicate the issue.  I am able to put my cursor in a Container field, pull down the Insert menu, select File..., and then insert either a Microsoft Excel file or a Microsoft Powerpoint file.

If you create a new database file with a Container field, do you still get the same symptoms (Untitled.dat)?  If you have access to another Windows 7 64-bit machine, are you able to replicate the issue?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: container field issue
              caseylanham

the problem is not putting an excel or power point into a normal container it needs to be a container in a portal leading to a different table (container is in the other table). also after restarting the program it now seems to work on excel files that are less than a megabyte in size. 

• 4. Re: container field issue
                caseylanham

it seems to only be an issue when you drag an drop files bigger than 10 MB. but does not seem to be an issue when the file is small or you right click and insert into container field. 

• 5. Re: container field issue
                  TSGal

casey lanham:

My apologies for the faulty test on the Windows 7 64-bit machine.  I did have a portal for the 32-bit machine, but nowhere near your file size.  Going back to the Windows 7 64-bit machine and properly setting up the portal, I was able to drag and drop several large files (up to 100 MB) without an issue.

Researching this issue further, I did see a customer in 2013 who had trouble dragging and dropping a 300+ MB file into a Container field in WebDirect, and this was documented in Knowledge Base Article #12486.  I also see a reported issue of a 100 MB file not uploading properly to an external storage Container field.

Are your Container fields set for External storage?  Do you have any other large files that are neither Microsoft Excel nor Microsoft Powerpoint files that drag/drop properly?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.