14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 5:26 AM by Taz_1999

Container fields appear empty

cdowns01

Summary

Container fields appear empty

Description of the issue

Just bought a new Mac laptop. Came with Snow Leopard. Installed FM10 and ported over my .fp7 file from my old Mac laptop, where it was always 100% stable. The file opens fine, but all of my container fields appear to be empty. They are not empty however... I can export their contents (EPS files) and open up the exported file and it's fine. The problem is it just doesn't show up in the container in the layout... it's blank. I saw some similar posts related to invisible fonts, but I have cleaned all of my font caches and reduced all open fonts to just my system fonts. Any help would be appreciated...

• 1. Re: Container fields appear empty
          TSGal

cdowns01:

Thank you for your post.

I have moved one of my database files with a lot of pictures from Mac OS X 10.5.8 to a machine with 10.6.  All pictures are displaying properly, but then again, all of the pictures are of .jpg or .png files, and none of them are .eps files.  If possible, I would like to test one of your images on my machine to see if it is a problem.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Container fields appear empty
            cdowns01
               Thanks a bunch. I just sent you two sample files as well as a couple screen shots that might help illustrate the problem. Appreciate your help!
            • 3. Re: Container fields appear empty
              TSGal

cdowns01:

I have received your files, but I'm unable to insert the EPS files into a Container field except as Insert File.  If I double-click the files (either on 10.5.8 or 10.6), the images display in Preview, and I can then save them as PDF.

How were you able to get the EPS files into the Container field?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Container fields appear empty
                cdowns01

Insert Picture. I have been using this database for about 2 years now, and I have always been able to display EPS files in a container. I have a script written that goes to the field, inserts the picture, etc. Has worked flawlessly for 2 years +. That's why I am so stumped.

I use Adobe CS4 Illustrator to manage my EPS files, and have been using that for as long as it's been out, so that hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed here is that I purchased a new MacBook Pro last weekend, installed my FM10, and copied my .fp7 database over to the new Mac. Actually, snow leopard was not installed on my new Mac there was a disk in the box. So I installed snow leopard, and then installed FM10 a day or so later.

• 5. Re: Container fields appear empty
                  cdowns01
                     BTW I've tried saving the EPS files in earlier formats of Illustrator, with different postscript options, etc. No dice.
                  • 6. Re: Container fields appear empty
                    comment_1
                       What type of preview do these files have? AFAIK, Filemaker (on OS X) can only show EPS files with PICT type preview.
                    • 7. Re: Container fields appear empty
                      cdowns01

The only options for the preview format coming out of Illustrator are TIFF (black & white and 8-bit color) and what is simply called "Macintosh" (also available in b/w and 8 bit color). I've never messed with this setting before, but I just tested with the TIFF setting (the default is Mac 8 bit color). When I tried to import picture using the Tiff preview I got an "unknown container object" message.

But the thing is there are 1000s of EPS files in my database. I didn't open them all up and save them all any differently. In fact I haven't really opened any of them. However they are saved now, and how I sent those 2 samples to you, is how they were stored on my old laptop before I simply copied them over to the new one running snow leopard. And they would show up perfectly there.

I can't believe I have been living with a "quirk" so to speak for several years here. Something has changed either in how FM or snow leopard (or both I suppose) is treating these files.

Should I try a clean install of FM? I was going to try that today but ran out of time. Could there be some sort of memory issue? I remember back when you had to allocate memory to each application. I know that went away with the first release of OS X, but that's almost what it seems like is happening.... 

I don't get it... 

• 8. Re: Container fields appear empty
                        comment_1

I tried this in Leopard, both in version 9 and 10. If the EPS fie has a TIFF preview and I try to insert it as picture,  I get an error message "This file type could not be displayed as a picture. It will be inserted and displayed as a file." 

I have no explanation to offer on how you got it to work before.

• 9. Re: Container fields appear empty
                          cdowns01
                             OK well I appreciate the help. I am going to try a few things today and see if I can't isolate where the problem started (since I still have my old laptop where it works). Like I said I can't believe I've been living with a fluke for 2 years on this... and it does work in snow leopard sometimes. Just not consistently. 
                          • 10. Re: Container fields appear empty
                            cdowns01

Update on this:

1) I was able to determine that the default setting for Illustrator EPS files ("Macintosh 8-bit color") is in fact a PICT format (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/324/324276.html). So this means that my ability to see the EPS previews on my older laptop was not a fluke.

2) Since my new laptop came with a Snow Leopard install disk, there was also a 10.5.7 disk in the box. So I did a clean install of 10.5.7 and then opened up the .fp7 file that I had copied over from my old laptop to this new one, and all of the EPS previews showed up fine.

To me this means there is some issue with how Filemaker is handling EPS previews when using Snow Leopard. I don't know what the issue is, but it's there.

• 11. Re: Container fields appear empty
                              comment_1

cdowns01 wrote:
                              To me this means there is some issue with how Filemaker is handling EPS previews when using Snow Leopard.

That seems very likely. It is also very likely that Filemaker "farms out" the preview to the OS and doesn't handle it on its own - and something has changed in the way it needs to be communicated.

• 12. Re: Container fields appear empty
                                TSGal

cdowns01:

Thanks for the additional information.

Like "comment", the error message I receive is:

"This file type could not be displayed as a picture.  It will be inserted and displayed as a file."

This occurs with both Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

In any case, since Snow Leopard is so new, I have forwarded your information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for additional testing to see if they can reproduce the problem.  As soon as I receive information back from either of those departments, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Container fields appear empty
                                  TSGal

All:

Sorry for the late reply.

Our testers also could not get the EPS file to display a preview in FileMaker Pro 10 on either Leopard or Snow Leopard.  If the file is resaved as EPS from within Adobe Acrobat choosing to include a PICT preview, the files can then be inserted as a picture, and the preview is displayed in the Container field.

On my machine here, Preview is set for EPS files and PICT files when using Open With option.  I don't have Adobe Illustrator, so perhaps this may be the culprit.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Container fields appear empty
                                    Taz_1999

I can confirm that this is STILL an issue, even with FileMaker 11 released yesterday. The combination latest Mac OS X and latest Filemaker makes all EPS inserted into containerfields or used in layouts (like in logos) disappear. 

I tested with FileMaker 11.0v1 (Trial) and are running Mac OS X 10.6.2. This is a huge problem, hope for a fix, preferably yesterday. 

Another thread with same issue: 

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/FMP-10-fails-to-display-eps-files-under-Mac-OSX-10-6/td-p/37006/highlight/true/page/3