Container Image Quality Problem

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.5 & 10.10

Description of the issue

FMP13 appears to handle container images differently from FMP12. In the attached jpg the image (right) has been created in FMP and copied / pasted into a container field (left) that has been sized to ensure that the container image is the same size as the original one.

The result is an image that has blurring around the inside edges of the box and on the diagonals.

The smaller the original image, the worse the blurring problem.

This problem does not occur with FMP 12.0v5 and is present on both non-retina & retina displays.

A similar problem seems to occur with text (see my post dated 27 May 2014).

Image_Comparison.png

• 1. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
          CP42Kx07:

Thank you for the post.

Testing would like to review the database file. Please check your inbox at the top of this page for the submission instructions.

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.
          • 2. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
            philmodjunk

Might thumbnail settings make a difference here?

• 3. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
              CP42Kx07

Hi Phil

No, thumbnail settings make no difference. The file is local rather than network but I have tried that idea just in case.

It seems to me that FMP13 uses a different way to render / display text and images compared to that used by FMP12. I'm not sure why but the resulting poor quality has meant that I have been unwilling to upgrade my FM portfolio management solution until the problem is addressed.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                philmodjunk

Are the images vectored or bit mapped? I think this one's been previously reported if these are vectored images.

For More Information see:     PDF Output or printing a mediafield PDF looks bad

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 5. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                  CP42Kx07

Phil

I presume that the images are bitmapped (they are drawn using the layout tools in FMP) and I have noticed the same problem when testing using bitmapped images (png, jpg) created in other applications and then imported into FMP container fields.

Perhaps I should add that I am using FMP Advanced.

• 6. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                    CP42Kx07:

Thank you for the example file and replies.

I am able to replicate the issue. The issue is specific to Mac OS X and FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced). Doing the same process (copy and paste of an image from layout mode into a container field in browse mode) on the Windows platform displays without rasterization. 

TSFalcon
                    FileMaker, Inc.
                    • 7. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                      CP42Kx07

TSFalcon

Thanks, that's great. What happens now? Presumably the issue is added to a bug list and if I'm lucky it might get fixed in a future release?

Is it likely that this issue could be related to another one (font display quality) that I raised in a previous forum post?

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/58ae17deb5

• 8. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                        philmodjunk

I believe that objects created in FileMaker are vectored. Fonts, most definitely are a type of vectored image--that's why TrueType was originally invented as it allows a "smooth scaling" when resized that is typical of vectored graphics.

So I really don't see anything here not already reported and logged as a bug.

TS Falcon,

The report I referenced only lists Mac systems so this is consistent with previous reports.

Doing the same process (copy and paste of an image from layout mode into a container field in browse mode) on the Windows platform displays without rasterization. 

I suggest that you take that file after pasting and open it on a Mac or iOS device. When you do so, a different bug (also already reported) should put in an appearance as pasted images typically paste in windows metafile format and these do not display correctly on Mac an iOS devices.

For this reason, I routinely use the Insert menu to add graphics to my layout and to insert graphics into container fields as these will insert a bit mapped graphic in the correct file format and look correct across all platforms.

• 9. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                          @CP42Kx07:

Thank you for the reply.

For now, I have filed a report and sent it to Development and Testing.  Once Testing confirms the issue, the information is sent to Development where it is categorized and prioritized.

FileMaker, Inc. does not discuss future products.

Additionally, I have replied to your other thread here:

@PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply. 

I agree that these may be the same issue, but I filed the issue as a separate report and will let Testing make the final determination. 

TSFalcon
                          FileMaker, Inc.
                          • 10. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                            Benjamin Fehr

@PhilModJunk:

"For this reason, I routinely use the Insert menu to add graphics to my layout and to insert graphics into container fields as these will insert a bit mapped graphic in the correct file format and look correct across all platforms."

This is gonna save your life when those 4k-Displays come to market!

wink

• 11. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                              CP42Kx07

Phil

I am sure you will be correct on vector rather than bitmapped for FMP layout objects. Not really my area I'm afraid. When I looked at your earlier suggestion of a previously reported problem with vector images (container pdf output) I couldn't make the connection but again you may be right.

I'll shall try re-creating and inserting these particular images again to see whether this avoids the issue.

Thanks once again for the suggestions.

• 12. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                                Fred(CH)

Hello there,

I did the test :

Pasting in Apple Preview and then save to PNG and then insert in the container, product much more better result than pasting directly in FileMaker.

But it is no more vectored and so you should choose the definition you need (like 300 dpi or more, according to all factors : Zoom level expected, printable or not etc...)

You still can get a vectored result if you save from Apple Preview to PDF, insert on FM field or layout, but it is a Mac only technique and, since the recent bug linked by Phil, it will not working anymore when previewing and printing… so too much limitations indeed crying.

Courage, Fred

• 13. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                                  CP42Kx07

Fred

I was unable to achieve any improvement in quality following your suggestion but I have established an alternative approach. As my primary use for these particular images is for custom checkboxes I have adjusted my approach and I am now using a button / conditional formatting technique which seems to work better for the small size containers / images that checkboxes require. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• 14. Re: Container Image Quality Problem
                                    Fred(CH)

In french we say : C'est le résultat qui compte !

I was unable to achieve any improvement in quality following your suggestion

Maybe i wasn't very clear. After copy from FileMaker Layout, i used the File > New from clipboard Apple Preview's command.
                                    Then, i saved as PNG file on Desktop. On the save dialog, one can define the resolution (default = 150). I chose 300.
                                    Finally, i inserted the file on FM container.
                                    I tested the result with 400% FM zoom and was unable to distinct a difference between image and layout object.
                                    And it was only my interpretation of Phil's suggestion… wink

Bye, Fred
                                    1 2 Previous Next