Summary

Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

Database of MP3 files in container field.

1)In FM 12 the program set as the Windows default music player was activated and played.  Does not work in FM13.

2) Old MP3 files in containers do not play in FM13.

3)When placing a "new" MP3 file in the container it plays in FM 13 (not with Windows default program). And, only plays if "Start playback automatically" is ticked.  Then, unless the playback is set to full screen the stop and pause/play buttons are intermittent.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I should note that the file was converted from an fp7 format but I expect that it should work as it does in FM12.

Expected result

clicking on container should start whatever MP3 player you have set in Windows as the default.

Configuration information

I tried this with both Windows 8.1 32 bit and 64bit systems

FM13_MP3_Container.png

• 1. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
          TSGal

David Worth:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have immediate access to Windows 8.1, but under Windows 7, I was unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I did:

1. In FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, I created a table with a Container field.

2. On the layout, I formatted the Container field for Interactive content.

3. In Browse mode, I added one record and inserted a MP3 file.  It plays correctly.

4. I quit FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, and opened the database file in FileMaker Pro 13.0v3.  Again, the MP3 file plays properly.

Since this is not working for you, I would like to see a copy of your database file with one record that contains the MP3 file.  I will then test it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
            TSGal

David Worth:

I received your file.  Thank you.

Unfortunately, I could not get the two MP3 files to play on my Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.8.5, Mac OS X 10.9.5, nor Mac OS X 10.10 machines.  This was all done under FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 (Windows) and 11.0v4 (Mac).

I added a new record and inserted a local MP3 file, and it played correctly.

I then noticed that I am able to Export Field Contents for my record, but not your records.

I converted the file to FileMaker Pro 13, and only the MP3 file I inserted plays.

Please send one or both of your MP3 files, and I'll try inserting them again into your record(s).

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
              sheridan

Hello TSal...  I loaded Windows 7 and I get the identical result as you.  So, the initial problem lies with FileMaker and Windows 8.1.  I tried Windows 8.1 64 bit, Windows 8.1 32 bit and the Windows 10 technical preview.  All have the same issues with FileMaker container fields with MP3 files. So, I will forget about the Filemaker 11 (that handles MP3 perfectly)  vs FM12/13 issue with those MP3s.

I can add MP3 to containers with FM13 in Windows 8.1 but two annoyances remain:

1) you must have "Start playback automatically' ticked in Field Inspector in order for the MP3 to play

2) playback doesn't use the music player set as the default in Windows 8.1

Thanks again for your support.

David

• 4. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                TSGal

David Worth:

I just got access to a Windows 8.1 computer.  Unfortunately, it does not have a sound device attached, so I can't play the audio, but the same issue occurs as before.  That is, I cannot select/play your MP3 files, but if I add a new one, the play button is now highlighted.  I have the Container field set for Interactive Content with "Start playback automatically" UNchecked.  See part of the screen shot below.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                  sheridan

Hi GSGal   Yes, that is the same as I get in Windows 8.1 with FM13 BUT it won't play by clicking on it.  The same added MP3 does play with FileMaker 12 without the Auto playback selected but doesn't use the Windows default player for MP3 files.  I even tried an old "Music Player" layout and the result is the same.

• 6. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                    TSGal

David Worth:

I found a Windows 8.1 virtual machine, but clicking the file says no sound card is installed.  I'll continue to search.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                      TSGal

David Worth:

I just worked with a Tester on his Windows 8.1 machine, and we (actually, he was doing all the work) could not replicate the issue.  The MP3 file played when we clicked on it.  It worked when "Start playback automatically" was checked and unchecked.  QuickTime was not installed.  This was a standard Windows 8.1 installation.

Since this is occurring on your two machines, what other applications do you have open?  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, temporarily disable them.  Let me know what else I can set on my system to try to replicate the issue.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                        sheridan

Must be a software conflict!  The interesting thing is that FM12 using the exact layout, on the same machine plays perfectly, although not with music player Windows has set as default which FM11 uses.  I will have to do more experimenting and will report back my findings.  Thanks so much for all your time and effort.

• 9. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                          sheridan

TSGal...  More bizarre things with the MP3.  When I create a runtime version with developer utilities FM13 v4 all music in both databases play perfectly. Regardless the non-runtime plays fine with Windows 7 on the same machine.  Worthy maybe of note is all three machines I tried are Intel based.  Was the Windows machine your tester used Intel or AMD. 

• 10. Re: Container MP3 file in FM13 vs FM12
                            TSGal

David Worth:

The Windows machine used by myself and the tester are Intel based.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.