Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7.5

Description of the issue

Occasionally the ability to right click and invoke the contextual menu for object formatting, etc. becomes disabled. Formatting commands remain active in menus, however.

Steps to reproduce the problem

None. The cause and appearance of this issue is rare but unpredictable.

Expected result

Right click on an object in layout mode to display contextual menu options.

Actual result

Nothing.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

Restart FileMaker Pro (Advanced)

• 1. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
          TSGal

Intelligent Database:

Thank you for your post.

I don't see any report of this previously occurring, and I know you say this is "unpredictable", but I'll need additional information.

Are you using a [Full Access[ account?  Does this occur after long extended use of FileMaker Pro?  Does this usually occur with a specific layout?  What other applications do you have running?  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  Is this a specific object or all objects?  Once this occurs, if you switch to another layout and back to the original layout, is there any change?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
            nilsw

This issue is not easily reproducible but it happens after working some time (hours) in FileMaker Pro - Advanced in our case. Once it occurs it is final, only restarting brings the menu back. The bug is present since the initial release of 13, pre-releases I don't know.

Mac OS 10.8.5, 10+ open databases, up to 8 people actually working (designing) on them. Full Access, no specific layout, all objects (definitive no right click available), Plugins: BaseElements, 360Works_ScriptMaster, myFMbutler_DoSQL.

Nils

• 3. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
              TSGal

filemakergarage:

Thank you for your post.

Since this issue occurs after "some time", and you've had this issue since "the initial release of 13", can you provide any additional information?  Have you tried this without the Plug-ins installed?  Do you recall what changes were being performed on the database prior to this issue occurring?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                CamelCase

Just wanted to mention that I also get this bug now and then, on OS X 10.8.5 (which is where I spend most of my time).

I haven't yet noticed anything specific about when this happens, except that it tends to be after working in layout mode for quite some time. 

• 5. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                  TSGal

David Wikström:

Thank you for your post.

Since you are the third person to encounter this issue, I have sent all three posts to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I am well aware that this issue occurs after extended use, so any additional information you can provide about your computing environment may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

For example, do you have any plug-ins installed?  Are any utilities running that may affect FileMaker Pro performance?  What other applications are concurrently running?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                    CamelCase

Hi TSGal,

This is my main development computer, so I tend to have lots of plugins installed. The exact set changes, but currently I have:

2empowerFM Clipboard Explorer v2.54;2.54.2.0;Enabled
                         2empowerFM Developer Assistant v2.9;2.9.2.0;Enabled
                         2empowerFM Family v2.41;2.41.2.0;Enabled
                         360Works Email;1.97;Enabled
                         360Works FTPeek;1.641;Enabled
                         360Works ScriptMaster;4.205;Enabled
                         BaseElements;2.2.1;Enabled
                         myFMbutler ClipManagerBridge;1.1.2.0;Enabled

For the rest, I don't think I was necessarily using any application other than FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 and BBEdit (those are always open), but I'll keep my eyes open next time this happens.
                         I can perhaps mention that I also frequency experience a very significant slowdown of FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 on the Mac after doing lots of changes in layout mode for a while. I can't say for sure whether these two issues always coincide or not, but both seem to be fixed if and only if I restart FileMaker Pro Advanced.
                    • 7. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                      TSGal

David Wikström:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have attached this information to my original report.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                        nilsw

we also use ClipManager. Tracking down this issue will not be easy. I cannot really afford to work all day with all Plugins disabled just to see if this error is occurring or not. Due to its rareness not experiencing this issue for let's say two days does not automatically mean that it is solved.

• 9. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                          CamelCase

@filemakergarage I've noticed that ClipManager crashes a lot more often that it used to lately/since FileMaker 13 came out. Can just be a coincidence, but perhaps this is something you've noticed too?

• 10. Re: Contextual Menu (Right Click) Fails in Layout Mode
                            TSGal

filemakergarage:

If you can't afford to disable the plug-ins, then don't disable them.

I have several database files open throughout the day and have never encountered this issue.  Granted, I am not performing any major development work.

Since this issue occurs over an extended period of time and is rectified by restarting FileMaker Pro, this usually points to memory management.  With all the things that could affect FileMaker Pro memory, plug-ins came immediately to mind.  I don't know if plug-ins are a contributing factor.  I am simply trying to obtain as much information to give our Testing and Development teams so they can attempt to replicate the issue.  If they require more information, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.