Summary

Copy and Paste not working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows Vista

Description of the issue

Simple copy and paste commands (short cut and right click) are not working.  When trying to cut and paste from one record to another manually, values will cut but not copy to clipboard.  It's then gone from the record and nothing is available to paste.

Workaround

Rekeying data...which defeats the purpose of databases.

• 1. Re: Copy and Paste not working
          philmodjunk

If you create a small test database with just a text field or two, does it show the same problem? This test will confirm whether the problem is specific to the file or to your installation of FileMaker.

If the test file does not have this problem, try recovering your original file and test the recovered copy (even if it reports no problems found) to se if the recovered copy works for you.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Copy and Paste not working
            JoeHoselton

I did the test and it's not copy and pasting.  I can however copy from an email and paste into a field so clipboard is working, just not when I'm in Filemaker...but even then only at times. 

I noticed other people having these problems with FM from earlier versions but it's only started happening recently in the past year or so on all PC and MAC platforms. 

It isn't a problem that started when my ITS department loaded FM to my system, it's just one that occasionally happens and rebooting the system, closing and restarting, doesn't help.  It will just sometimes work and other not.

• 3. Re: Copy and Paste not working
              philmodjunk

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Vista system. I do have an XP system and a windows 7 system. I can copy and paste with no trouble on both of them, nor have I seen reports from others here in the forum on this issue...

• 4. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                JoeHoselton

I read posts just from this December on the subject yesterday before I submitted.  People were talking about it, but didn't seem to have been communicating it so I submitted an Issue Report.

• 5. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                  philmodjunk

You read these posts where? Here or in another forum? I'm very active in this forum and do not recall such posts. If they were here, I'd like to search them out and review them.

• 6. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                    JoeHoselton

Copy and Paste not working

Cannot Copy and Paste FM9 but addresses other people's issues somewhat as well.

• 7. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                      philmodjunk

You've posted a link to this very same thread that we are conversing in.

• 8. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                        JoeHoselton

Apologies...meant to copy the next link in the list titled...Cannot Copy and Paste FM9

Cannot Copy and Paste in FM9

• 9. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                          philmodjunk

Most of that thread discusses the limitations of using copy/paste in scripts--not the issue you have here. The thread was initiated in 2009. Such older threads do not automatically appear in Recent Items when someone posts to them, unfortunately--which explains why the December post escaped my notice. It's also unfortunate that the December Post does not identify an operating system--a key detail that might help run this down.

Nevertheless, I'm going to bring this to the attention of TSGal so she can research their internal bug report database to see if there is any info that might help. In the mean time, additional info you can share might help:

Do you have any other applications running in the background when you have this problem?

Can you drag and drop selected text from one field to another? (Option must be enabled in preferences first.)

Can you take one of these files to a different machine and test it there to see what happens?

• 10. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                            JoeHoselton

Naturally, the drag and drop AND cut and paste is working now.  And nothing in the background is working any differently than normal.  It literally comes and goes randomly.  I usually have Microsoft Outlook, and Internet Explorer running, occasionally opening Word, Excel and Adobe PDF. 

I hadn't tried the drag and drop before because I would be scrolling between records and wasn't able to drag and drop.  In this instance I'm consolidated duplicate records into one.  Pulling data from a specific field on the duplicate record to the same empty field on the original record.  Cut and paste is the easier option.

• 11. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                              philmodjunk

You might try Uninstalling and re-installing FileMaker 11 to see if that makes any difference. This is just a "shot in the dark" suggestion on my part, but costs you nothing but time and inconvenience to see if it makes any difference. (My FileMaker 10 install on XP, needed an occaisonal re-install or the computer's ability to manage windows while FileMaker was running would gradually, over days/weeks, fail.) Not the same bug, I know, but maybe it's worth a try...

• 12. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                                TSGal

Joe Hoselton:

Thank you for your post.

I have access to a Windows Vista Business machine, and I'm unable to replicate the problem using FileMaker Pro 11.0v3.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a new database file (Test.fp7), and created three Text fields: Name, City, Zip.

2. In the first record, I entered: TSGal, Santa Clara, 95054.

3. Clicking outside the fields to commit the data, I then pressed Control-C to copy the record to the clipboard.

4. I created a new record, placed my cursor in the Name field and pressed Control-V.  All three field data appeared in the Name field, separated by a tab.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to replicate your exact steps.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                                  JoeHoselton

I did the exact same steps.  I build extensive database tools with filemaker...have for about ten years...and can make this thing do everything I need.  Which makes this minor glitch all the more frustrating.  I can script FM to do my grocery shopping...but can't cut and paste some days.  HA!

• 14. Re: Copy and Paste not working
                                    TSGal

Joe Hoselton:

These type of intermittent problems are also frustrating to us, as they can't be reproduced consistently.  If you quit out of all applications and just have FileMaker Pro running, does the problem manifest?  Also, do you have any plug-ins?

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next