Copy/Paste Object Style Loses Theme-Specified Field Padding

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.2

Description of the issue

Pasting object style from one field to another moves all properties visible in the inspector but frequently zeroes out theme-specified field padding.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start with a layout containing multiple fields created using a theme with field padding such as "Rounded-Desert". I found this problem using the files provided as part of FTS.
      2. Change the hover appearance settings for fill or text properties or line properties in one field, the original field.
      3. Copy the object style for the newly changed original field
      4. Paste the object style to a second field

Expected result

Second field formatting should be identical to original field.

Actual result

Text is flush to the left in the second field -- all cell padding from the theme has been removed and there is no way to restore it because FIELD PADDING ISN'T VISIBLE IN THE INSPECTOR.

All properties visible in the inspector for all 4 states show as being identical between the original field and the second field.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

Using the exercise files supplied as part of the FileMaker Training Series (FTS).

Workaround

Nope.

• 1. Re: Copy/Paste Object Style Loses Theme-Specified Field Padding
          philmodjunk

and there is no way to restore it

Actually, you may be able to restore this at least in terms of the affected field's appearance. Under the paragraph section on the inspector's appearance tab, you can specfiy left and right indents.

But in a quick test on Windows XP, I was unable to get the result you describe in your report.

• 2. Re: Copy/Paste Object Style Loses Theme-Specified Field Padding
            mbayer

Thanks for trying to reproduce on WIndows.  Did you try using the FTS files or a new file from scratch? The latter seem to be 100% reproducible but when I create a file from scratch it's inconsistent.

With respect to restoring padding, there really isn't any way to do this. As has been noted elsewhere there is no place in the UI that allows padding settings for a field to be changed.

As for paragraph indent, it's a different setting. The difference can be visualized by turning on Text baselines for a given field. The length of the text baselines reflect the padding amount. On the other hand, the paragraph indent moves the text relative to the text baselines.

• 3. Re: Copy/Paste Object Style Loses Theme-Specified Field Padding
              philmodjunk

I tried this in a converted from Filemaker 11 file on a layout created post conversion with a "non classic" theme.

I just created a brand new file for demo purposes in Filemaker 12. Just now, I went to that file and:

Duplicated the layout to keep existing layouts unmodified.

Selected a text field and used the "hover" settings to fill it with yellow.

Returned to browse and tested the hover settings.

Returned to layout mode and copied the object style.

I then individually selected different fields of the layout and used the paste style button to give them the same "hover" settings.

The padding in each of these fields did not change, but they now fill with yellow when I hover the mouse over them.

The layout theme was Cool Gray.