1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 4:35 PM by tquig

Copying

tSo

Summary

Copying & Pasting Portals Bug

Description of the issue

Using FMP 11 Advanced if I select a portal and the fields it contains, copy it, then paste, the fields contained within the portal are blank. Each field within the portal must now be individually reset using the Specify Field command. Also the sort order of the portal must be manually reset. This happens even when pasting to the original layout, or to a different layout that uses the same table as the original. This bug varies from layout to layout. Meaning, one layout will allow me to copy and paste portals with no problems whatsoever, but on some layouts, all of the portals will copy and paste incorrectly. I'm unable to determine any difference between the layouts that work, and those that do not. This problem occurs on both my Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and my PC running Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
          philmodjunk

Using Windows XP, FMP 11 Adv, I cannot reproduce this error. When I copy and paste a portal onto the same layout, the fields and sort order do not have to be re-specified.

Have you tested this with more than one layout? More than one file? That might shed some light here.

• 2. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
            tSo

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the fast response.

Yeap, I'm not surprised you're not seeing this. It's pretty random. I have tried this with different layouts and different operating systems. The only common denominator seems to be this is all happening in one file. I also seem to remember this was happening with FMP 9 as well.

Here are a couple of links to Quicktime movies that show this in action:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/856544/PortalPasteError1.mov

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/856544/PortalPasteError2.mov

In the second movie you'll see two portals copied. One pastes correctly, the other does not.

Also, newly created portals seem to copy and paste just fine.

Do you have any clues?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jeff Pagano

• 3. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
              tSo

More info...

It appears the problem is not related to portals, but fields from some related tables.

If I add a field from a related layout, copy it, paste it, the field is blank. This only happens with fields from certain tables. Fields from some tables copy and paste just fine.

I've Recovered the file, saved a compressed copy, and opened a clone, but none of these actions have corrected the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 4. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                tSo

Problem solved, but I don't know why...

I've renamed the name of the table in the Relationship diagram and fields now copy and paste as they should.

If I try to use the old name, copy and pasting fails again.

Any clues as to why this might be happening?

• 5. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                  TSGal

tSo:

Thank you for your  posts.

I do not have an explanation as to why this is happening.  If possible, I would like a clone of your database file so I can use it here and try to determine the cause.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just beneath the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                    5104919325FTN

tSo wrote:

I've renamed the name of the table in the Relationship diagram and fields now copy and paste as they should.

If I try to use the old name, copy and pasting fails again.

Any clues as to why this might be happening?

What was the old name? What is the new name?

• 7. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                      tSo

The old name was:

StudTeams:zk_Link_fk|Students:zk_Link_pk

I have dozens of relationships using the this format, so there's no illegal characters.

The new name can be just about anything... Changing the name of the table occurrence on the Relationship diagram fixes the problem.

• 8. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                        TSGal

tSo:

I received your file.  Thank you.

From the limited testing I did, changing the name of the table occurrence to not include colons fixes the problem.  That is, if you have a colon as part of the table occurrence name, the pasting of fields will fail.  For example, if you shortened the name of the Table occurrence to "St", it works fine.  If you insert a colon "S:t", it fails.  I have forwarded my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  In the mean time, change the colon to another character.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                          5104919325FTN

StudTeams:zk_Link_fk|Students:zk_Link_pk

StudTeams:zk_Link_fk|Students:zk_Link_pk ?

Well, you are not afraid ... And your fields are named like StudTeams:zk_Link_fk|Students:zk_Link_pk::Students_pk ?

I call this courageous ;-)

• 10. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                            tSo

That's great news! I'm glad it's something simple.

So I guess now colons are not allowed in table occurence names?

I've been naming table occurrences "tablename:fieldname|tablename:fieldname" since before FMP 6.

The naming convention was recommended by a white paper I believe I downloaded from either the FileMaker web site, or the FMP Advisor web site, I can't remember which. I've been using this naming convention for so long, I can't remember where it was suggested to me. (When I started using FMP, it  was called FileMaker II.)

Apparently this naming convention is no longer being used and the cool kids are making fun of me. Aw man, I just walked into class on the first day of school wearing high waters. :smileysad:

I would gladly ditch these incredibly long and convoluted table names, but as you can see from this snapshot, I have many variations:

So please tell me how does one keep track of the myriad of relationship variations which occur in a complex database?

What are the new 'rules' for naming tables and fields?

Is there a white paper or Tech Note outlining the naming convention FMP Inc. now recommends?

I'm 100% open to suggestions and greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 11. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                              TSGal

tSo:

I don't see anywhere that you cannot use a colon.  That is why I reported it to Development and Testing.

For now, you know the cause, and you will have to wait for a reply from either Development or Testing.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                                TSGal

tSo:

Our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department has confirmed the problem, and that it also happens in FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 9.

I don't know of a white paper that talks about table occurrence names.  At this time, just be aware of the limitation when pasting the fields.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                                  philmodjunk

I'd suggest that future versions of filemaker not allow the colon as part of a table occurrence name due to the potential confusion. We've also seen that fields from such a table occurrence can't be used in merge text either.

• 14. Re: Copying & Pasting Portals Bug
                                    tquig

I have this same problem copying portals from one file to another in FM11.  The original file was created using FM9. These are identical files as far as the relationships involved. tables, etc.  In one layout I have tabs with portals that all copied over except for one.  I cannot find any changes but the portal is blank.

There is a button and script to add data to the table which the portal is to display.  The data is successfully added but will not display.

I'm not a an expert and am looking for clues in case this is a bug, in which case I can quit chasing this while thinking it's some stupid thing I did.

I'll appreciate any leads, thanks.

1 2 Previous Next