Summary

Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X

Description of the issue

We often copy and paste objects onto layouts, and we use the Inspector to help us choose the exact precision of where to paste that item. This usually works fine, except when pasting an object into a tab control or a slide control. When doing so, FileMaker doesn't actually place the object INSIDE of the tab control/slide control… it actually places it ON TOP of the tab control/slide control. This is very confusing and unproductive, especially if we don't catch this behavior until later. The only way to get an object into a tab control/slide control is to MANUALLY DRAG IT INTO the tab control/slide control… you cannot paste it. It would be great if we had the ability to paste objects anywhere we wanted to.

• 1. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

When you use the Inspector to place an object, you are placing that object to a specific place on the layout.  If the object had not been part of the tab control or slide panel, then the object will occupy the same area as the tab control/slide panel.  Once you paste the object onto the layout, and with the object still selected, press the up arrow once and the down arrow once.  This will then attach itself to the tab control or slide panel.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
            philmodjunk

Please note that there are times when we want that object to not be "owned" by the enclosing portal or tab control.

For More Information see:     Portals and Tab Controls fail to "own" enclosed objects

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 3. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
              philmodjunk

with the object still selected, press the up arrow once and the down arrow once.

If the object is already owned by the enclosing control but resizing the control makes the control smaller than the selected object, tapping arrow keys causes it to fall out of the enclosing object, appearing below it in the stacking order--which is a very irritating result as one often--especially in iOS systems uses a tab control or slider to "clip" a portion of the object so that it can't be seen or it's a merge text object  where all the added << characters and long field names makes for text too large to fit in layout mode that fits just find in all other modes.

Then you go to "tweak" it's position a few pixels only to have it drop out of the tab control or slider completely. You end up resizing the control to be bigger than the object, tweaking the object's position and then resizing the control back to its original size. And this is very easy (for me at least) to forget...

• 5. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                TheBridge

This issue is killing me at the moment... I'm upgrading a FM 7 file to FM 13 and I am trying to place an existing portal on a new slider control. The portal appears on both panels of the slider whether I paste it in, drag-and-drop, nudge up and down, etc... it seems the only solution is to recreate the portal on the slider in its entirety, something which I expect will have to be done throughout the system. I'd love to see a real fix for the whole "ownership" issue, e.g. a hierarchical list of layout objects in the style of a program like iDraw.

• 6. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                  TSGal

The Bridge:

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like you may have a bad Slider Control.  Temporarily put the Portal to one side of the layout.  Then, remove the existing Slider Control, add a new Slider Control, select the desired Slider panel, and move the Portal onto the Slider panel.  Go to Browse and see if the Portal appears in the correct Slider panel.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                    TheBridge

Hi TSGal,

Yes, that worked -- thank you very much for your quick (and effective) response!

Peter

• 8. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                      tcmeyers

TSGal,

I'm having this difficulty right now under FMPA 14. I've tried making a brand new slider and moved (both by pasting and dragging) my problem object onto the desired panel.

The object is actually a set of 16 one-line portals in a 4x4 pattern, and I've tried pasting and dragging these as a bunch of selected items, and also grouped as a single item.

I just can't get them to stick to the panel in the slider. Up and down arrow nudging hasn't worked.

Any other suggestions?

Troy

• 9. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                        Benjamin Fehr

Dealing with Tab Control, Slide Control and even Portal Rows is a tricky thing.

I always get best experiences when

- paste the objects outside of Slide/Tab/Portal first

- make sure the right Slide/Tab/Panel is selected (in focus)

- don't use mouse to drag object into tab! Use key-arrows instead to shift them into Slide/Tab/Portal-Row. Make sure that object positioned though it is entirely enclosed by the borders of Slide-Panel/Tab-Panel/Portal-Row. The Object must not overlap the borders!

- switch to Browse-Mode

Now, the object should be assigned to the correct panel OR Portal-Row.

Up from here, you should be able to use coordinates with the Inspector in Layout-Mode for adjustments of position and dimensions without any harm(!).

• 10. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                          tcmeyers

TSGal,

I have good news. I discovered this by placing each of the 16 one-row portals one at a time onto the slider panel. The first 12 worked fine, it was just the bottom row that would not "stick". By experimentation I discovered that with a 6-point navigation dots there is an unexpectedly large 16 point no-man's-land above the bottom of the slider panel. If any part of the item is that close to the bottom it is considered outside of the slider. This region reduces to 14 points for 4-point navigation dots, and I presume would be 18 points for the default 8 point nav-dots.

Turning off the nav-dots reduces the area to 4 points.

I bet this has caused trouble for others, it's not at all obvious that you can't get that close to the dots, the area is quite a bit higher than I expected for the size dots I was using.

Troy

• 11. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                            tcmeyers

Thank you Benjamin! I had tried many of the methods you suggested. I was not aware the the fairly wide strip at the bottom of the slider was not "inside" the slider. Please see my earlier reply that crossed yours in the wire.

Troy

• 12. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                              Benjamin Fehr

don't miss to toggle to Browse Mode and back to Layout Mode with every step you do.

You can even reduce the size of an object, place it in the panel, switch to Browse Mode and back before resize as desired.

I earned some experiences with a layout with 3 Tabs (Month/Week/Day), each with portals with 4 layered fields and objects inside every portal row.

Maybe this should become the final test for FM 15 Certificate

Calendar.jpeg

• 13. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                                Benjamin Fehr

to stay with this intriguing experience:

By experimentation I discovered that with a 6-point navigation dots there is an unexpectedly large 16 point no-man's-land above the bottom of the slider panel. If any part of the item is that close to the bottom it is considered outside of the slider.

There's a chance that, if you reduce the object/elements for this 16 points in  the first place, toggle to Browse mode and back, before enlarge back for this 16 points as desired, the item will stay recognized as part of this panel.

You'll find detailed description in Chapter 12 of "Voodoo for Dummies"

• 14. Re: Copying and pasting objects onto tab controls or slide controls
                                  tcmeyers

Benjamin,

In that vein, I placed the lower row of objects in the slider with the nav-dots turned off, and they stuck fine, and then turned the nav-dots back on. I was half expecting the objects to be kicked out of the slider, but they stayed stuck to it! The bottom of them were obscured by the otherwise-invisible no-man's-land, though.

Troy