1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 9:59 PM by RickWhitelaw

Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"

user14360

Summary

Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced Operating System(s) involved:Mac OS 10.6.2 Detailed description of the issue: Problems with copying items that have been grouped. I have been having trouble with a file, with it repeatedly reporting something "damaged" about the file.  On recovery of the file, it usually comes down to a particular layout.  I have found a pattern.   It always reports the problem after I have copied items that have been grouped together from one layout to another layout.  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create layout objects 2.  Group them 3. Copy them to another layout 4.  Recover the file (either by the file prompting you, or by you doing it for some other reason) 5.  File reports problem. 6.  Log shows problem with the grouped objects which I copied.  Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:None appear when copying, but problems with the database file occur after that, either by it crashing regularly, or it closing and telling you the file is damaged, or you don't necessarily know about it for a while. Any workarounds that you have found:If I ungroup the objects before copying, the issue doesn't seem to occur.

• 1. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
          RickWhitelaw

Definitely something to watch out for . . . however, I've copied groups of objects many times without any ill effects although maybe not since 10.6.2 arrived. What is the error line in the recover log?

RW 

• 2. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
            user14360

Recovering: layout 'name of layout' (184)

Rebuilt group with 15 objects(s) 

Rebuilt group with 17 objects(s)

Rebuilt group with 148 objects(s) 

Reset table view

This item changed 

Does that mean much to you? 

• 3. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
              philmodjunk

I've recently encountered this on Windows XP when fixing a client's damaged database. Given that this only happened with specific groups, I suspect that something about that group already has a problem before I copied it, it just didn't trip whatever check Recover is doing on the original layout while pasting it into a different layout did.

I'm just guessing here and could be completely wrong about what's going on.

• 4. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                user14360
                   It's happened to me with 3 different layouts, each time copying a set of grouped items, and each set of grouped items being different!
                • 5. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                  philmodjunk

Try copying them to a brand new blank layout and see if it corrupts the layout. Perhaps part of the issue lies with the layout being pasted to rather than the grouped objects being pasted.

In my case, I could copy other buttons (which are grouped objects) but not two specific buttons to a pair of layouts. Those I had to ungroup, copy/paste and then link them to the original script in order to avoid the file corruption.

• 6. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                    user14360
                       One of the layouts was a completely new blank layout, so it seems to be more to do with the grouping of the objects.  I might do some more experimenting, but at any rate, I'll be ungrouping things before I do any copying and pasting!  (Which is annoying, because I lose the button definitions, but better than corrupting layouts.)
                    • 7. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                      philmodjunk
                         Given the number of buttons I've copied and pasted from one layout to another with no trouble, I'd expect the issue to occur rarely. It is another example of why we need to make frequent back up copies and is another argument for performing the occasional recover on the file to check for hidden corruption in the file.
                      • 8. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                        user14360
                           After more working away on it, I'm discovering it's also happening when I move a set of grouped objects on the same layout, not just when I copy them to another layout.  This is driving me nuts.
                        • 9. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                          RickWhitelaw

"This item changed" means something. The rebuilds are all standard as I believe the Recover process rebuilds everything. What's frustrating is the fact that it recovers the layout, rebuilds three groups, then resets table view and THEN reports "This item changed". Is the item the layout? One of the groups? I assume the "item" is the layout. If so, what in the layout caused this notification. Undoubtedly you got a message "not to continue" with the file.

RW 

• 10. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                            user14360

I'm not sure whether it's the layout or the object groups.  What alerted me to this particular thing being the issue, is after recovery of the file ages back, a background box (which I think had been grouped with some other boxes) had been removed from the layout by filemaker.  So perhaps it's the object itself. 

Yes, I did get the message "not to continue" with the file, but the thing is, this has happened a number of times, and the minute I remove the layout and recover it again, it reports the file to be ok.  So, where possible I've been returning to a recent un"corrupted" backup, but there have been times when I've continued with the file after removing the layout.

I know this is perhaps not the best practice, but the alternative of rebuilding piles of work was very unattractive, particularly when it seemed clear there was a specific problem that I could remove. 

• 11. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                              TSGal

Hildy:

Thank you for your posts and detailed testing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. I created a new database file "Test.fp7".  One Text field (Name) and one record (TSGal).

2. In Layout Mode, I added a circle, rectangle, text block, and a line.  I selected all four objects and grouped them.  I copied the object to the clipboard.

3. I created a new blank layout, move the field onto the Layout, and pasted the object on the Layout.

4. I went back to the original layout and moved the object about 20 pixels to the left.

5. I closed the file and ran Recover.  No problems reported.

From your description, I can't discern if this is happening only with this file.  Did you try this with a new file?  If it works with the new file, then there may be something wrong with the original file.  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                                user14360
                                   It seems to happen frequently when there are buttons involved.  Not all the time, (ie it's possible to move grouped buttons and not have the problem occur), but frequently enough to cause me concern and to avoid moving grouped buttons.  (ie, Over the cause of a couple of days of steady working on the file it happened perhaps 3 times, each with a different layout and with different objects.)
                                • 13. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                                  TSGal

Hildy:

Thanks for the information.

Does this happen with the same file?  Are you able to reproduce this with a newly created file?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Copying grouped objects - causing "corruption"
                                    philmodjunk

Since I can copy and paste buttons frequently with no trouble but have had this happen on a specific file, I suspect there's a problem that flies under Filemaker's radar until some aspect of pasting a specific group does that one bit more that makes this something that the recover process hits on and reports a problem. I have such a file from a client and could use it to try to produce a simpler file that reproduces the issue if you'd like to see it and or send the file to the engineers for a closer look.

Hildy may have such a file to send you also..

1 2 Previous Next