4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 5:47 AM by ChristianMillet

CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by...

chuy

Summary

CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by email the following:  --  Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

FMSA 11.0.3.309

Operating system version

macOS X server 10.6.7, fully updated

Description of the issue

CPU USAGE FOR "FM Web Publishing" tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by email the following:  --  Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING. 

I have
      -MacOS X server 10.6.7,
      -Latest FMSA 11.0.3.309, installed previous version and upgraded (more than 20 days ago)
      -Single server deployment
      -Local IP number (non public)
      -Https active with self signed certificate
      -Used Active directory for 2 months, but then changed to NON EXTERNAL authentication 20 days ago

It had been in operation for months, and this issue started to happen yesterday, I know last update to server was the security updates, but a few days ago.

I reinstall the server and works for a while, but then it just stops responding, FM Pro users are unaffected.

If I restart the server, it works for several minutes to half an hour, and stops responding

When I reinstalled i did the following

1)backcup Data folder
      2)execute remove FM from installer
      3)Delete library/fm folder
      4)install FMA from installer, since it is the 11.0X (that cant launch FMadmin console), it fails before entering
      5)Install latest Upgrade, enter the console by IP xxxx:160000, and configure
      6)I have a local IP number (intranet) a certificate (locally generated) and has worked since december

my solution uses FM Pro on some users, IWP on all others, ODBC for some reports.

on the wizard it allways fails on first try, then I configure port for https, and select HTTPS on the radio button, passes the test, and finishes OK

7) The DBases are loaded trough the console, NOT BY drag and drop to fm folder

ALSO MY CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU

and get by email the following:

----------------------------------

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Restart, everything OK, few minutes latter IWP does not respond
      Reinstall same thing again
      Clear Java Cache (suggestion from a web site), same thing again

Workaround

NO WORK AROUND, URGENT SOLUTION REQUIRED

• 1. Re: CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by...

Jesus Guzmn Bremer:

Thanks for posting!

Are there users connecting when the CPU usage jumps or are the databases just idle?

Are you able to replicate this behavior with all databases closed except the FMServer_Sample file (or a blank one)?

Is this a dedicated machine? Is IIS hosting any other sites?

If you're not running any other sites, it'd be worth it to uninstall and reinstall IIS so we can test with IIS at it's default configuration. To do this, you'll need to reinstall FileMaker Server following the steps you outlined in your post but, inbetween steps 3 and 4, uninstall and reinstall IIS.

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by...
            chuy

ITS RUNNING APACHE on Mac OSX Server, I uninstalled it as shown on steps listed on issue, an the installed back again.

We host about 7 databases, and we get an average of 7 users at any one time. Some use FM Pro and are not affected, only IWP users are affected, the range browser usage from IE7 to IE9, Opera, Safari on Mac and windows, Chrome and FF.

Databases are self contained, no interdependencies.

Every time this happens there was at least one user with FM Pro Advanced (since I rarely exit the main DB)

But also IWP users were on line (since thy are the ones reporting the issue.

Also I have schedules running, the regular backups (one of them every hour), and another that recalculates some status on projects with replace filed contents. they dont report issues.

• 3. Re: CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by...
              TSGal

Jesus Guzmn Bremer:

Thanks for the additional information.

Besides the FileMaker Pro Advanced user accessing the server during the CPU spike, do you notice anything else?  For example, does the CPU usage spike occur during the scheduled backup?  Are any of the IWP users pressing a button that executes a specific script that uses all records (like a global replace or producing summary values)?  I don't expect you to know what the IWP users are doing, but perhaps you could ask them the next time this occurs, what exactly they were doing prior to the unresponsiveness.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: CPU USAGE FOR FM Web Publishing tread takes 95 to 100% CPU, IWP not responding, FM Pro OK, I get by...
                ChristianMillet

I have the exact same issue. I have FMS 11 running on a Mac Mini Server w/ 4GB Ram. There is nothing else on the server and no other processes running other than Apache and MySQL. 

The curious thing is that the CPU only spikes the first time a user hits the site. For the user, this means waiting a good minute or two for the page to load. This only happens once, after that, the server performs like a champ. However, having that big hang time on the first hit can be devastating to our business purpose.

This same behavior is exhibited the first time any machine/browser hits the site. Also, it seems that if a user's session has expired on FM Web Server, then it will repeat the process. It's almost as if instantiating the session is where it gets hung up.

Thanks,
                Chris 

p.s. This happens even if no other FMP or FM Web users are hitting the site.