Summary

Crash on Bento Import

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

Description of the issue

FMP12 crashes when importing data from a Bento 4 collection.  It wil smetimes crash immediately, or less often will crash after deteriming field types.  It would 'seem' to be during the actual data import.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Import data (either from file menu or the splash screen) from a Bento collection

Expected result

One would expect it to work... but this is v1

• 1. Re: Crash on Bento Import
          TSGal

BillCastello:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I have FileMaker Pro 12.0v1 running on Mac OS X 10.7.3, and Bento 4.0.6 (the current release of Bento 4).  When I import data from a Bento 4 Collection, it imports successfully each time.  Are the Collections from a user-created Library or one of the external data Libaries (Address Book, iCal, iPhoto)?  Are these Collections or Smart Collections?  Any other information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Crash on Bento Import
            BillCastello

Ok.  Same versions on both... 12.0v1 and 4.06.  These are user created collections, and not smart collections.  The definition is rather simple, I have attached a screenshot of the table being imported.  It's not too complex.  The crash is repeatable every time I import the collection..

it seems to be the actual data itself, not the field definitions or the like.

v/r

Bill

• 3. Re: Crash on Bento Import
              TSGal

BillCastello:

Thanks for the additional information.

Please send me a template of the Library including the data from Bento 4.  I'll try to replicate the problem here and determine if it is the Bento data or FileMaker Pro 12 application.

Did you previously own FileMaker Pro 11?  If so, were you able to import the Bento Data Source?  This may help narrow down the issue.

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the Template file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                BillCastello

I have 11 still installed right now (until I am certain 12 is up to snuff :)

I just tried the import into FMP11, and it worked.  So now if I can convert into 12. I will be a happy camper...

And the convert rom 11 to 12 went perfectly.  So...

Again, thank you for all the help. 

v/r

Bill

• 5. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                  bigsy

I have the same problem as BillCastello - attempting to import a Bento 4.0.6 collection into FMP12 causes a crash. The file imports into FMP11 without problems.

--

bigsy 

• 6. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                    TSGal

bigsy:

Thank you for your post.

Although "BillCastello" has found a way to get his information into FileMaker Pro 12, I'm still not sure of the cause.  If you could send me your bento.bentodb file, I will try it here to try and determine why the import is failing with FileMaker Pro 12.  This will help others who also run into the same problem.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

Until this gets resolved, convert the FileMaker Pro 11 file to FileMaker Pro 12.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                      bigsy

Thanks for the reply, TSGal.

Over the weekend I have discovered that if I disable the Address Book, iCal & iPhoto data from being displayed in Bento then I can import my Bento data into FMP 12.

I had these display options enabled but wasn't actually using any of this data from within Bento, so this work around seems to be OK for me.

Would you still like me to submit the file?
                      --

bigsy

• 8. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                        TSGal

bigsy:

A customer sent in a file that was reproducible on one machine, but not on my machine.  Similar to you, if Address Book is turned off, the import does not crash.  We're still investigating, so no need to send in your database file at this time.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                          BillCastello

Bigsy and TSGal,

Same here, I disabled the Address Book, Photos and Calendar and it works like a charm.  Methinks this beast is narrowed a bit...

v/r

Bill

• 10. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                            TSGal

All:

Thank you all for your input.  The problem has been isolated, and it appears Bento is the cause.  FileMaker Development and Bento Development are discussing the best way to proceed.  For now, turning off the external Libraries (Address Book, iCal and iPhoto) appears to solve the problem.  I'll continue to keep you posted as more information becomes available.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Crash on Bento Import
                              TSGal

All:

Bento 4.0.7 was released earlier today that fixes any possible crashes with FileMaker Pro 12 when importing a Bento Data Source.  You can download Bento 4.0.7 through Knowledge Base Article #10913 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10913

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.