Crash on Print

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I have been using 12.0v1 today and trying to print. Every time I print Filemaker Pro crashes. I have tried printing to both a network printer and a local usb printer. Both have the same problem. I have tried with a converted file from 11 and a brand new file I created from a template. Both crash when I print anything. I have tried save/send records as a pdf and that works fine. I can open the pdf and it is fine.

Any ideas for a solution?

• 1. Re: Crash on Print
          philmodjunk

Please list the printers that you have tried to print to. Sometimes this type of issue is specific to a given printer or printer driver. You might also check to see if any printer driver updates are available for your printers.

• 2. Re: Crash on Print
            rmanook

Hi Ben Brezina:

Thanks for submitting your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 12 on 10.6.8.  Here's what I did:
            a.  Created a new database in FileMaker Pro 12 using the Assets starter solution (only 1 empty record exists in the file)
            b.  Went to File > Print and left the default settings (Copies: 1, Pages: All, Print: Records being browsed)
            c.  Clicked the Print button 

Result: The record printed without any issue/crash.

Following those steps on your machine, does the issue still occur? 

If so, please allow me to verify a few things:

1.  What is the brand and model type of the network and local usb printer?
            2.  What are the driver versions of the printers?
            3.  Does the crash happen every time?  What benchmark, or how many times have you printed?
            4.  Does the issue occur if you create a new user account and attempt the same steps in that new user account?
            5.  Try running a Repair Disk Permisions back to back and then try the steps again.  Did this help?
            6.  Do you have another 10.6.8 machine to try?

Thanks,
            tsturtle
            FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Crash on Print
              bbrezina

Result: The record printed without any issue/crash.

Following those steps on your machine, does the issue still occur? 

Did exactly what you did and Filemaker Pro 12 crashed and nothing printed out. It looked like the job was spooling and then filemaker crashed. I looked in the printer list and chose show completed jobs. It showed that the job was sent but aborted.

If so, please allow me to verify a few things:

1.  What is the brand and model type of the network and local usb printer?

2.  What are the driver versions of the printers?

Network Printer: Konica Minolta bizhub C253  Driver 5.4.5

USB Printer: Canon i9900  Driver: 10.51.2.0

These are the latest drivers for 10.6

3.  Does the crash happen every time?  What benchmark, or how many times have you printed?

It happens every time. I have tried more than a dozen times. The file shows up in the print list but it always shows aborted.

4.  Does the issue occur if you create a new user account and attempt the same steps in that new user account?

I will try this next and let you know.

5.  Try running a Repair Disk Permisions back to back and then try the steps again.  Did this help?

Repaired disk permissions multiple times and no change.

At this time I do not.

• 4. Re: Crash on Print
                bbrezina

Just set up a new user account and logged in and tried. Same attempt to print and same crash.

• 5. Re: Crash on Print
                  bbrezina

Just installed filemaker pro 12 on my laptop which runs 10.6.8 and tried creating a new asset template file and printing to the network Konica Minolta bizhub C253. Same thing happened. It crashed. Printing from every other program including Filemaker Pro Advanced 11 is working. Any more thoughts?

• 6. Re: Crash on Print
                    philmodjunk

Konica bizhubs do not have a good track record of compatibility with Filemaker. (Or is it that FileMaker does not have a good track record for compatibility with bizhubs?Wink)

For More Information see:     Printing from FM 11 or 11 Advance to Konica Minolta C550 crashes Filemaker

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 7. Re: Crash on Print
                      bbrezina

Thanks PhilModJunk! I followed the link of the thread you posted. There I found:

in case anyone reads / revives this thread, Konica driver v5.6.0 was posted on Australian Konica website:

http://solutions.konicaminolta.com.au/support/DriverPublic.cfm

The new driver is not on the USA site. But I went and downloaded the 5.6.0 from the Australian site, installed it, and everything is printing fine. Oddly, my Canon printer now is working as well. Thanks so much for your help! I doubt if I would have been able to find the solution on my own. Blessings to you!