Crash on Windows due to "export to export" script step

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Windows 11.0.3, both Pro & Pro Advanced

Operating system version

Windows XP sp 2

Description of the issue

FMPro crashes out when a malformed sort followed by an export records script step is executed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new file with two related tables, A & B. Go to an A layout, sort by an A field and a B field and an A field. Create a script with with two script steps - sort and export records. In the sort, sort by the 3 fields. In the export script step, use group by the 3 fields, and export to an excel spreadsheet. Now, go back, and remove the last field from the sort by list in the first script step, so that the sort is now only sorting on two fields.

Expected result

FileMaker should not crash. (If it should manage to export the data, grouped by the first two fields, that would be nice, but an error message would be fine ;-) )

Actual result

FileMaker crashes with an unexpected error dialog.

Workaround

Fix the sort script step. Admittedly, this is obvious, but someone changed the sort, and it took 30mins to find the bug.

• 1. Re: Crash on Windows due to "export to export" script step
          TSGal

Richard Dyce:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am able to replicate the problem under Windows XP.  This does not crash under Mac OS X 10.7.2.

Also, it doesn't matter what is the file type (Excel, comma-delimited, etc.), the script crashes when the Group By has fields that aren't included in the Sort.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.