Crash when closing filemaker 12 client

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v4

Operating system version

Windows XP/ Windows 7

Description of the issue

The client sometimes crash on closing. We have script, that will close about 20 files and at the end call exit application script step. One of our database is made through ODBC connection.

When closing databases, the fm client crashes after closing the last file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open file after file (10x), than immediately close all databases with script (close file1, close file2, ... exit application).

Expected result

Filemaker client should close all files and exit application without windows crash dialog.

Actual result

Windows crash dialog is shown.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Hanging application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 12.0.4.403, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address
      0x00000000.

Unhandled exception at 0x7c919af2 in FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000010.

Configuration information

One of our database is made through ODBC connection. Database files are hosted on the virtual server with Filemaker Server 12v4.

• 1. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
          philmodjunk

Is the ODBC file the first file closed? The Last? or ?

Just as a test, you might try omitting the closure of different files to see if closing a specific file is the culprit here.

If it's the ODBC file, you might try adding a short pause so that the appication isn't exited immediately after attempting to close the file...

• 2. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
            tomasd

The ODBC file was firstly closed only with exit application script (the call to close the file was missing). I tryed to put closing the file at first/last with no effect. (now is closed at first).  Maybe, the ODBC has nothing to do witht it. Pause script before exit application sometimes helped, but it is very strange. It seems, that the Exit application script step is causing crash, especially if I close filemaker 'too quickly'. I mean, If I wait for a while after my test case (open 15 files and after last file, instantly run my shutdown script), the client does not crash. It seems like Filemaker still do some work behind and shutdown cause the error.

• 3. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
              philmodjunk

What I am suggesting is that you systematically try different versions of this script that do not close certain files at all rotating in and out the files not closed to see if closing a specific file is always the cause of the crash.

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you might enable the script debugger and run this script in order to step through the script to see if you can spot any clues while watching things shut down step by step.

• 4. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                tomasd

Ok, I tryed to debug the whole process and it crash exactly after Exit Application Script step. Closing files before was ok at all.

• 5. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                  tomasd

Has Filemaker some extended log, it could help to diagnose the error? I can't find anything.

• 6. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                    Markus Schneider

does the crash occur immediately or does it take several seconds until FM crashes? If it takes some seconds - could You try to deactivate the network on the client (no net..)?

Don't know where the logs are unser Win - there should be an entry somewhere, but not sure if it's soecific enough

• 7. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                      tomasd

Hi Markus, the crash occurs after files are closed when Filemaker wants to exit application. I see grey background window in filemaker, when it happens. If I disable network, the client lost connection to the filemaker server. We have files hosted on our local server .

• 8. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                        Markus Schneider

ok.. I got the same here, from time to time. After closing the last file, FileMaker stays open for maybe 10..30 seconds, maybe even longer. Then, I've had crashs -not every time, but still a couple of times. Sometimes, the crash occurs immediately as well.

In general, the crashes are seldom, not every time when closing. Here, I'm on OSX 10.8.3

I got the impression that it never happens without a network. Normally, the files are on a FM Server - but I've had them locally as well when doing some tests while on train

markus

• 9. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                          tomasd

I have disabled all plugins and updated ODBC client driver and the crash is still here.

• 10. Re: Crash when closing filemaker 12 client
                            tomasd

Here is video with error description

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D755741_69660782_126124

Log Name: Application
                                 Source: Application Error
                                 Date: 22.5.2013 13:53:39
                                 Event ID: 1000
                                 Task Category: (100)
                                 Level: Error
                                 Keywords: Classic
                                 User: N/A
                                 Computer: FMS12.dataapex.local
                                 Description:
                                 Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 12.0.4.403, time stamp: 0x514b6292
                                 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f
                                 Exception code: 0xc0000005
                                 Fault offset: 0x00038dc9
                                 Faulting process id: 0x9e4
                                 Faulting application start time: 0x01ce56e28251bb01
                                 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
                                 Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
                                 Report Id: 3d7f2d0d-c2d6-11e2-bd10-000c29d3006f
                                 Event Xml:
                                 <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                                 <System>
                                 <Provider Name="Application Error" />
                                 <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
                                 <Level>2</Level>
                                 <Task>100</Task>
                                 <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                                 <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-22T11:53:39.000000000Z" />
                                 <EventRecordID>42039</EventRecordID>
                                 <Channel>Application</Channel>
                                 <Computer>FMS12.dataapex.local</Computer>
                                 <Security />
                                 </System>
                                 <EventData>
                                 <Data>FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe</Data>
                                 <Data>12.0.4.403</Data>
                                 <Data>514b6292</Data>
                                 <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
                                 <Data>6.1.7601.17725</Data>
                                 <Data>4ec49b8f</Data>
                                 <Data>c0000005</Data>
                                 <Data>00038dc9</Data>
                                 <Data>9e4</Data>
                                 <Data>01ce56e28251bb01</Data>
                                 <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe</Data>
                                 <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
                                 <Data>3d7f2d0d-c2d6-11e2-bd10-000c29d3006f</Data>
                                 </EventData>
                                 </Event>