Summary

Crash when closing multiple files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

When I am closing multiple-file solution. Filemaker crash with C++ Runtime Error: R6025 "Pure Virtual Function Call".

The solution is converted from Filemaker 11 files.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open multiple files from our solution

Expected result

No crash

Actual result

Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

C++ Runtime Error: R6025 "Pure Virtual Function Call"

Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro.exe, version: 13.0.1.194, time stamp: 0x526aac3b
      Faulting module name: MSVCR110.dll, version: 11.0.50727.1, time stamp: 0x5011aa2a
      Exception code: 0x40000015
      Fault offset: 0x000a0a94
      Faulting process id: 0xcac
      Faulting application start time: 0x01cef1189168d7b2
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 13\FileMaker Pro.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR110.dll
      Report Id: 496bfb87-5d0c-11e3-a7f7-000c29e37863

Configuration information

Hosted on Filemaker Server 13 and opened from Client 13 (both trial versions)

• 1. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
          TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Thank you for your post.

If you copy the files to your local computer and access, do you still get the same issue when closing the solution?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
            tomasd

On local copy I can get the same error. Our solution is quite complex. It happens when closing Filemaker with X or Exit application script step. The user has to do some work before (switch windows, run some script,...). Then when Filemaker is closing, the error pops up.

If I open solution and immediately close it, there is no error. In both cases, no script is running before closing.

Recover.txt was created:

Timestamp    Filename    Error    Message

2013-12-05 11:25:38.624 +0100    UserControl.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 1813 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:25:38.624 +0100    UserControl.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 1056174
                 2013-12-05 11:25:38.624 +0100    UserControl.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 1813 block(s)
                 2013-12-05 11:29:16.432 +0100    Dashboard.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 3111 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:29:16.775 +0100    Dashboard.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 328690
                 2013-12-05 11:29:16.775 +0100    Dashboard.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 3111 block(s)
                 2013-12-05 11:29:20.878 +0100    Projects.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 5764 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:29:21.143 +0100    Projects.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 2458476
                 2013-12-05 11:29:21.143 +0100    Projects.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 5764 block(s)
                 2013-12-05 11:29:26.666 +0100    OrdersIn.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 5427 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:29:27.009 +0100    OrdersIn.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 2578107
                 2013-12-05 11:29:27.009 +0100    OrdersIn.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 5427 block(s)
                 2013-12-05 11:29:31.283 +0100    RivalSW.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 423 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:29:31.299 +0100    RivalSW.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 78390
                 2013-12-05 11:29:31.299 +0100    RivalSW.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 423 block(s)
                 2013-12-05 11:29:33.888 +0100    WEBSQL.fmp12    0    *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 334 block(s) to check
                 2013-12-05 11:29:33.888 +0100    WEBSQL.fmp12    0    Reset maximum block sequence number to 33185
                 2013-12-05 11:29:33.888 +0100    WEBSQL.fmp12    0    *** Completed consistency check, checked 334 block(s)

• 3. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
              TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since there are multiple files involved, have you tried closing each file individually?  That is, close one of the sub-files, then another, etc. until the crash occurs.  This may help narrow down the possible cause.  From the Recover.txt file, you'll see the files that were still open at the time of the crash, so start with the bottommost (WEBSQL.fmp12) and work your way up.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                tomasd

TSGal, I have tried what you suggested. Closing a file individually is no problem. Error is in 'cascading closing' all files.

I don't understand what is happening there, but when I put script step 'Adjust window [Restore]' in the beginning of closing script, the error goes away (for now).

Our solution has maximized window after start. When you open next file, it is automatically maximized by Filemaker. There can be some problem in Windows management during Filemaker shutdown?

• 5. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                  TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although no issue has been reported with closing a solution and multiple files, I'd like to get more information so I can document it and hopefully discuss this with others.

How many files are you closing at the time of shutdown?  How many maximized windows are open at the time of shutdown?  I know these two questions are similar, but FileMaker Pro allows multiple windows open for the same file.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining the cause.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                    tomasd

We are closing 28 files. In each file user can make one duplicity window, but this is optional. The files are interlinked (Dashboard-Persons-Companies-Issues-OrdersIn,....).

After database start, all files are opened and user see maximized Dashboard. If he clicks on link to other file, the file/existing window is opened. All opened files stay always behind the last opened window (27).

• 7. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                      TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Thanks for the additional information.

I know you are using the trial version, so I know testing has been limited.  With that said, prior to the "Adjust Window (restore)", did everyone crash when they closed out the solution?  If not, do you know if any of the users who crashed had more than 28 windows open?

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but our Testing department will need these answers in order to research the issue.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                        tomasd

Thank you TSGal,

It seems that adjust window is not the solution, because today the crash occurs again. I have made screencast with error. My colleague can repeat that.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D755741_69660782_6597606

• 9. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                          TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Thanks for the screen recording.

I will send what I have to our Development and Testing departments for review.  They may ask for clone files from your solution.  I will keep you posted.

On a side note, I notice a lot of your files are minimized at the bottom of the screen. Have you considered putting the separate files into one file?  Or at least less files?  This would cut down the number of windows that need to be closed at one time.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                            TSGal

Tomas Dohnal:

Our testing department has requested more information.  What does the closing script actually do?  The video shows the user pressing a power button, which we assume is to close FileMaker Pro.  That button is probably associated with a script.  Correct?  Getting a copy of the solution (or a clone) might help.  If you have FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced, open the script debugger and observer what is occurring before the file is closed.

If you can send a copy of the solution, check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                              tomasd

TSGal,

the script on the button close all files and then exit application. I don't have Filemaker Pro 13 Advanced, so debugging is limited. But the crash can be caused even with X button in Filemaker main window (standard Windows button).

Our solution has this multifile architecture. We prefer this, because developers can work simultaneously on different files and it is easier to do backup.

I am going to send you message with link to our reduced databases.

Thank you

• 12. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                                philmodjunk

If you are going to exit the application, there would seem to be no need to individually close the files in your script.

• 13. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                                  tomasd

It's true, but this is older script from times, when closing all files was quicker than exit application only :-)

• 14. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                                    philmodjunk

I'm a big believer in "shaving by Okham's Razor" when working with Database Design. It may not solve this issue, but any design changes that get the job done with fewer "moving parts" is generally a very good idea. wink

@TSGal, I think that I recall another issue report for a version prior to FileMaker 13 that matches this thread. The user was using a script to close a bunch of files before exiting the application. I don't recall if any resolution was reached for that thread or not, but it may be worthwhile searching the forum to see if it can be pulled up. I seem to recall that a short pause between the close file steps corrected the issue, but I may not be remembering this correctly.

1 2 3 Previous Next