Crash when closing multiple files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

Filemaker crashes when closing one file when multiple files are open. It is extremely annoying - affecting productivity and has caused some file damage.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Have 2 or more files open.  One of them was created on FP11. On closing one of them the, the system crashes.

Expected result

File to close

Actual result

Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Filemaker Pro Advanced has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Configuration information

why - from the forum, other people are experiencing this problem

Workaround

The only way I survive is to save a back-up of each file before closing. Time consuming.

Filemaker_crash.png

• 1. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
          Markus Schneider

Are there any scritps fired when closing? Any scriptrriggers? Do You have FileMaker Advanced to step through the closing?

• 2. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
            TSGal

Dominic Eagling:

Thank you for your post.

There have been a couple of instances where users are closing up to 30 files at one time, and our Development and Testing departments are aware of that issue.  How many files do you have open?

Are you able to close each file individually?  Or, does one file have the issue?

The questions from "markus schneider" are very relevant (Thank you!).  Check to see in File Options if either the script triggers OnWindowClose or OnLastWindowClose are active?  If so, what are those scripts doing?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
              nickeagling

I will check the script triggers.

One thing I did not mention - my problems first started when I upgraded from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1.  

Initially, Filemaker crashed when I tried to edit any text in a layout.  This problem disappeared after downloading and installing the latest update from Filemaker - then the crashing on closing started.

• 4. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                philmodjunk

As you probably know, a damaged file can cause crashes and crashes can damage your file. So for both reasons, make sure to use Recover to check your files for damage after such a crash.

• 5. Re: Crash when closing multiple files
                  nickeagling

Hi, by chance i discovered a solution, and have not had any problems since.

Here is how I did it. 

1. Right click the Filemaker Pro Advanced icon on the desktop and select "Properties"

2. Select the "Compatibility" Tab

3. tick the Compatibility Mode box, and select operating system from the drop-down menu, then click "OK"

4. all done.