Summary

crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.9.3

Description of the issue

My computer automatically updated the OS software, and now FM 12 keeps crashing — it just suddenly gives me the spinning beach ball and the activity monitor tells me the program is not responding.  I've tried waiting for a few minutes, but it jsut stalls out.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Seems to happen most frequently when I'm working w a found set.

Expected result

That it will work without crashing

Actual result

It crashes.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No text -- just beach ball.  (It's not as fun as that makes it sound.)

Workaround

restarting the program.

• 1. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
          TSGal

Jocelyn Olcott:

Thank  you for your post.

Which version of FileMaker Pro 12 are you using?  If you are not using FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, then download and install the update via Knowledge Base Article #12487 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12487

Assuming you are using FileMaker Pro 12.0v5, does the locking occur when you are launching FileMaker Pro 12, or if you double-click on a FileMaker Pro file?  Try just launching the application.  If launching the application works, then try creating a new file.  If that works, then try opening the file.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
            JocelynOlcott

I am using 12.0.5.  The locking occurs after the file is launched and usually (it seems) while I'm searching through a found set.  So, are you suggesting I should duplicate my database and see if the new one doesn't crash?  (I have one database -- it contains all the notes for a book I'm trying to finish.  I suppose I could export a bunch of the records into a test database and see if the problem occurs -- is that what you're suggesting.)  But there is no known conflict with the Mac OS update?  I saw one other person had posted something similar w/ this OS & FM13, but there doesn't seem to be a resolution.

• 3. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
              TSGal

Jocelyn Olcott:

Thanks for the additional information.

Since you are able to access the database file but not search, then make a duplicate of the database file for backup purposes.

With FileMaker Pro launched and no file open, pull down the File menu and select Recover.  Select the file (either original or backup), let the name of the file default to "... Recovered", and save it to the Desktop.  When finished, see if any errors are reported.  Then, open the Recovered file and attempt the search again.

IF the problem still exists, then open the original and export the data to text files.  From the Finder, make a duplicate of one of your old backups that didn't have the search problem, and then open the duplicate.  Delete all records and import from the text file, so all data should then be up to date.

Continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
                philmodjunk

It would be simpler to open the back up copy and use "save a copy as ..." with the clone option to get a copy of your file with no records in it all in one step.

Question for TSGal: I've seen this recommendation before--that you export to text, then import from text instead of importing directly from the recovered copy of the database file. What possible issues does that added step--which doubles the amount of time needed to move the data, does that avoid?

• 5. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Your option is simpler.

As a personal preference, I like separating the data into a text file.  Yes, it may take longer, but if a problem still exists, I now have the database file and data separated.  On one occasion, control characters or high-ASCII characters that did not appear in FileMaker Pro, displayed in the text file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: crashing w new Mac OS update (10.9.3)
                    philmodjunk

Thanks, When working with a file whose size is stated in gigabytes, doubling the time needed to transfer the data (which can take hours) is not trivial, so it's useful to know the pros and cons of using a direct import.