5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 8:00 AM by TSGal

Crashing when working with file paths

dbail22@comcast.net

Summary

Crashing when working with file paths

Description of the issue

I am getting frequent crashes on Mac OSX 10.6.1 when working with external data sources.  By that I mean when I add, select, modify or otherwise work with the dialog box where you either choose or type in a file path, Filemaker crashes.  It hesitates at different times (like when a dialog box is open to choose a new file for a source, or If I am typing in a file path) and then displays the spinng beach ball of death for a second and then totally crashes.  When It first happend I thought it might be specific file related but I have had it happen with over a half dozen files now, either new or recovered from a previous such crash.  David

• 1. Re: Crashing when working with file paths
          dbail22@comcast.net

After reading more of the topics I can provide more information.  I have deleted FIlemaker and all its pref files and reinstalled.  I have used recover on files, let it automatically recover and created new files and the problem is happening with too much frequency.  I can provide crash log files in handfuls due to how often this is happening.

David

• 2. Re: Crashing when working with file paths
            dbail22@comcast.net

This is getting so bad..... Installed on my 8core Mac, created a no record clone of the file, did a recovery that found no problems. Imported the data and tried to set some external data sources. Wham, Here is a partial log.  Here is a partial crash log.

Process:         FileMaker Pro [141]
            Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
            Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.pro
            Version:         10.0.3 (10.0.3)
            Code Type:       X86 (Native)
            Parent Process:  launchd [92]

Date/Time:       2009-10-07 17:46:37.537 -0700
            OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
            Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          17500 sec
            Crashes Since Last Report:           2
            Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  -538861 sec
            Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   2
            Anonymous UUID:                      EF2C0467-F16B-43F7-9659-42B33DA5BCDF

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
            Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000dde8c389
            Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:
            objc_msgSend() selector name: release

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
            0   libobjc.A.dylib                   0x93ab891b objc_msgSend + 27
            1   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95d9b589 TFSInfo::~TFSInfo() + 29
            2   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95d9ba35 TFSInfo::RemovePtrReference() + 35
            3   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95db4278 TNode::IsUnresolved() const + 48
            4   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95da8c60 TNode::SetAliasTarget(TNodePtr const&, bool) + 236
            5   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95dec900 TNode::ClearAliasTarget(bool) const + 60
            6   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95ded723 TNode::RemoveSelf(TNodeEventPtrSet&) + 193
            7   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95dedb37 TNode::RemoveAllChildren(bool, TNodeEventPtrSet&) + 425
            8   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95dedbdb TNode::RecursivelyRemoveAllChildren(bool) const + 75
            9   com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95df52e0 TNode::Finalize(TNodePtr*&) + 56
            10  com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95df5576 TNode::Finalize() + 264
            11  com.apple.DesktopServices         0x95e02855 NodeContextClose + 542
            12  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91e4b1f8 -[NSNavFBENode dealloc] + 49
            13  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x907fe9d8 CFRelease + 152
            14  com.apple.QuickLookFramework      0x96755d4a _QLPreviewCFFinalize + 215
            15  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x907febab _CFRelease + 363
            16  com.apple.Foundation              0x90060adb __delayedPerformCleanup + 74
            17  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x90874f22 CFRunLoopTimerInvalidate + 786
            18  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x9083019b __CFRunLoopRun + 7531
            19  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x9082dd34 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 452
            20  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x9082db61 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97
            21  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x903eefec RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 392
            22  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x9057683a GetNextEventMatchingMask + 453
            23  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x905769f0 WNEInternal + 160
            24  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x90576b9b WaitNextEvent + 57
            25  com.filemaker.client.pro          0x001a7e4c FMGetEvent(short, XNEventRecord*, unsigned char) + 108
            26  com.filemaker.client.pro          0x001a7f23 CFMProApp::GetEvent(EventRecord*) + 51

Tried pasting in more of the log but the forum will reject way less than 20,000 characters

• 3. Re: Crashing when working with file paths
              TSGal

dball:

Thank you for your detailed posts.

Please look over Knowledge Base Article #7360.  It can be found at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7360

Please follow the information in the article and then try again.  Please continue to keep us updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Crashing when working with file paths
                dbail22@comcast.net

I read the article but I am not using ODBC.  Strictly Filemaker File Paths.  99% of the time the crash occurs after I select an external data file which dismisses the file dialog box and displays the path to the file I have chosen. One to Two seconds later FM hangs, displays the spinning ball and then crashes.  Easily repeated on two different computers both running Snow Leopard.  I can provide the files I have recovered, rebuilt, redesigned, reimported etc, etc but they total over 80mb.   The files I am trying to reference were converted to FM from Excel.  Rebuilding or reimporting and checking the excell files for wierd characters etc, etc does not help.  I tried creating fields and then importing the data from the excel files or directly importing and there are still dozens of crashes while trying to establish these files as data sources.

The only way around this is to type the file path directly into the FM dialog and not choose the actual file.

David

PS It is almost impossible to paste in a crash log to this forum, not because of the length but because this forum encodes the happy face in some way that converts much of the text from a mac crash log into different kinds of faces. This results in a message calling a text block over 20,000 characters when it may be only a few thousand characters long. If crash logs are of any use here perhaps this can be fixed.

• 5. Re: Crashing when working with file paths
                  TSGal

dbail:

Thank you for the additional information.

When you initially said "external data sources", I was assuming External SQL Data Source (ESS).  That was the reason for the Knowledge Base article.  Sorry for the confusion.

Just to clarify, you are receiving a crash when you try to connect to another FileMaker Pro file.  Correct?

I use FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on Snow Leopard (10.6.1), and I am able to open remote files, link external files to the current file, etc., and I do not encounter any difficulty.  I see sending in the file is prohibitive (80 MB), so if you have a clone that I can test, or provide a scenario to try, I would appreciate it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.