Summary

Create email with file as attachment stopped working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

"Create email with file as attachment" feature has stopped working for me.  I have a layout with a button assigned to this task which has been working flawlessly for months, I tried to use it today and it no longer works.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I Created a brand new layout with two simple fields to eliminate my existing database as a potential problem.  Went to "File>Save/Send Records As>PDF…" Selected "Create email with file as attachment" checkbox.

Expected result

I expected Mail.app should have launched (unless already running) and created a new email with a pdf version of my layout attached as it has in the past.

Actual result

Nothing at all happens.  I also tried selecting the "Automatically open file" checkbox instead, and that did open the file in Preview exactly as expected.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages appear.

Workaround

No workaround other than opening the PDF and manually attaching it to an email - certainly possible but irritating when you're used to a happy button that does it for you.

• 1. Re: Create email with file as attachment stopped working
          steveromig

Jeremy -

Thank you for your message.

I was unable to reproduce this issue using FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 and Mac OS 10.7.3.  In my test file it worked as I expected.

When you said, "nothing at all happens" does that imply that the PDF is not being created?

Assuming the PDF is being created, you might want to double check that Apple Mail is your default email client / reader.  In the Preferences of Apple Mail, click on the General tab and verify that Apple Mail is set as your Default Mail Reader.

Thanks!

TSShark
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Create email with file as attachment stopped working
            JeremyHammer

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am using Mail.app as my mail client and I just checked to verify it was set as my default mail reader.  To my surprise, something had changed it to Google Chrome without my knowledge.  I retested my layout and everything is working as expected.  Sorry for troubling you, but I would not have suspected that as a requirement for Filemaker to perform that function so it was time well spent.  Thank you.