I never understood why defining new fields in Table View should even be possible. Using Manage | Database | Fields to do this is so much nicer and gives straight forward access to all the field options available.
Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the problem with FileMaker Pro 11v2 under Mac OS X 10.6.5. Here are the steps I took:
1. I opened a file that had two Text fields: "Last Name" and "First Name"
2. I pulled down the View menu and selected "View as Table".
3. I clicked the "+" icon to add a new field, changed the name from "Field" to "ABC" and pressed return.
4. I clicked on Modify, and "ABC" is listed last.
5. I clicked the "+" icon, changed the name from "Field" to "DEF", pressed return, clicked the right edge to bring down the menu and changed the Field Type to "Summary...".
6. I get the warning message "When changing the field type to Calculation or Summary, FileMaker will replace any data in the field with the result of the formula. Proceed anyway?". I click OK.
7. I make the Summary field a Count of Last Name and click OK.
8. I click on Modify, and "DEF" appears.
Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.
I apologise for the lack of clarity of my original description of the problem I encountered. I will try again. The essential problem is making a field visible in table view that has been newly created using the standard “Manage > Database” option. When working in Table view, after adding a new field, the new field name has to be added to the “Modify Table View” listing found under the modify button at the top right of the Table view. When the “+” button at the bottom of this window is pressed, this then brings up another window containing the complete field listing of the current table, with the newly added field as the last entry. When this field is high lighted and the “Ok” button pressed, this should then result in the new field name being added to the “Modify Table View” listing. However, it only does so following closing down and reopening the database. In other words one cannot create new fields and have them added to a given Table view without closing and opening the database in between. Is there another solution for the rapid addition of new fields to Table view?
Thanks for the clarification, but I am still unable to replicate the problem. Here are the steps I took:
1. I went into Manage -> Database and added a Calculation field and a Summary field.
2. I selected the layout and switched to Table View.
3. I clicked the "Modify" button in the upper right, and only the fields displayed on the Layout are displayed. The Calculation field and Summary field are not included. To add them to the layout, I clicked the "+" icon in the bottom left corner.
4. All fields from the table are displayed. I double-click the Calculation field, and it now displays (and is checked) in the Modify Table View window. I also see the Calculation field now displayed in Table View.
5. I click the "+" icon again, double-click the Summary field, and it now displays (and again checked) in the Modify Table View window, and it is also displayed in Table View.
I do not have to have to close down and reopen the file.
How many fields do you have? If you perform this with a new file, do you run into the same problem? I don't doubt this is happening to you, but I'd like to try and get as much information possible to hopefully narrow down the cause(s).