Creating family mailing label for church

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 10.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

I'm trying to create a set of mailing labels of our church congregation. I have a parent table called Household, and three related tables: males, females, and children. We want our labels to list the adults in the family as John and Jane Doe on the first line. We want the second line to display the children in the family (e.g., Johnny, Janie, Jimmy). I've created a portal which correctly lists the children in the Household table, but I don't know how to create a merged address label that lists the children correctly.

• 1. Re: Creating family mailing label for church
          philmodjunk

Report an Issue is intended for reporting problems (possible bugs) with filemaker software. Feel free to continue to post back here for help with your question, but next time, you would likely get a quicker response if you posted this in the Filemaker Pro Forum (see tab at top of your screen) instead of Report an Issue.

I'm not sure I follow that, can you be more specific?

You've said: "I've created a portal which correctly lists the children in the Household table, but I don't know how to create a merged address label that lists the children correctly."

On the one hand you indicate that you've listed the children correctly and on the other you indicate that you have been unable to ;-)

Sounds like you should re-design your tables. I'd use 2 possibly 3 tables like this:

Household----<FamilyMembers

You'd list all people, both genders, children and adult, head of household or not in Familymembers. Use a fields in family members to identify age, age groups, gender and which individual is head of household. Household would store your mailing address for the family.

Given blended families where some children may be a member of more than one Household, you might want three tables:

Household---<FamilyMembers>--- Members

You'd put all the individual fields in Members and FamilyMembers becomes a Join table linking a specific Household record to a list of records in Members.

• 2. Re: Creating family mailing label for church
            LorraineHolton

Thanks PhilModJunk. I apologize for the incorrect posting. Forgive me for being dense, but I couldn't figure out how to post a question in the forum. This is actually the first time I've done this.

To clarify my statement "I've created a portal which correctly lists the children in the  Household table, but I don't know how to create a merged address label  that lists the children correctly," I don't know how to make all the children show up in a merged label address, i.e., <<Mailing label>>
                   <<Children::Name First>>
                   <<Street1>>
                   <<City1>>, <<State_Province1>>  <<Postal_Code1>> 

Thank you for the suggestion about the tables. I'll give it a try.

Lorraine Holton

• 3. Re: Creating family mailing label for church
              philmodjunk

Click the tab for Filemaker Pro Forum. On the right, under a heading labeled "Post", there's a link titled "New Forum Post". Click that link and it will take you to a screen to post a new question to the forum.

Using Children::Name First like that will just return the first name of the first related child record.

To list all the children, you'd have to place a portal to the children table on this labels layout so that you could list all the chldren in a vertical column. The portal could be set to slide up so that it takes up only as much space as is needed to list the children.

I'm guessing that you'd prefer to see something like this on the label: Mary, John, Jacob

You can define a calculation field in Household set to return text that looks like this:

Substitute ( List ( Children::Name First ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

This calculation takes a list of names separated by carriage returns and replaces the carriage return with comma and space. You can then place this calculation field on your label layout to get your list of children first names.

• 4. Re: Creating family mailing label for church
                LorraineHolton

I don't know how I missed the post tab before???? Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Your calculation field worked exactly as I needed it to. Thank you very much.

Lorraine