cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

advanced 13v2

Operating system version

Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Description of the issue

Issue can happen various times.  The beam cursor displays / appears 1 space away from where the cursor is really located.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Paste some text into an empty text box then displayed cursor will have a space after pasted text.  Then delete the final character.  For example paste of "http://forums.filemaker.com/" will display "http://forums.filemaker.com/[gap][beam cursor display]" but function for deleting a character as "http://forums.filemaker.com/[beam cursor location]"  If one moves to another window and returns the cursor will place correctly.  Backspace one time display "http://forums.filemaker.com[gap][beam cursor display]"  Each character deleted has the [gap][beam cursor display].

It took several attempts to capture the cursor versus and I cropped the image to show input and beam cursor.

Left arrow will cause the cursor to move left but cease displaying the beam cursor.  Four left arrow will move the cursor 4 positions and backspace will delete correctly but beam cursor does not display.

Expected result

cursor will not have a physical [gap]

Actual result

cursor has a gap; this makes it very challenging to do data entry and/or editing; if you don't have a solution I am punting and going backward

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

WholeWindow_LetterToCursorGap_On2014Apr03_crop.jpg

• 1. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
          TSGal

Barry Hanold:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v2 running under Windows 7.  I will try to locate a Windows 8 machine.

In the mean time, check to see if your DPI settings are set to anything other than 100%.  That is, Go to the Control Panel, click "Appearance and Personalization", and click "Display".  Set this to 100% and see if the issue continues.

See Knowledge Base Article #13089 for more information:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13089

If the issue continues, is this issue only happening with a specific file?  Specific Layout?  Specific field?  What font is being used?

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
            user16881

I tried to find the "appearance and personalization" but in Windows 8.1, I could not find it.  There is "personalization"

I did try the "drag" part in layout mode and I do not have the lag or offset.

Additional FONT related issue...  I have this some of the issues in this post, post issue also for my dropdown lists / menu.  "FM13v02 - with fatal rendering issues!!!"

**  My part...  All my dropdown menus changed to a smaller font but the line spacing is still correct for prior (prior version 13).

Since this was just a small part of my issue I decided I should create a new issue.

My issue happens in multiple of my databases (I have over 50 db so I do not say all).  It has happened in all that I have used in the past day.  My issue happens when working text in the layout or browse mode for each.

My issue seems to be most of the time if the font size is 10 point and under.  Also the issue happens mostly when style is standard / regular / plain.  Issue happens for multiple fonts when the style is standard / regular size 10 point or smaller.  Same font at 18 point bold or 9 point bold does not have the issue.  The issue happens with multiple font types tt and Adobe universal.

This issue happens when editing "layout" mode a text field (label for a field).  The red underdots for issue when pasting a non-word (spelling red warning) is full length of the pasted text plus incorrect gap.  Any text within a "layout" or "browse" box that is bold does not have the issue.  (e.g., if I bold a portion of the text the bold portion works fine in the middle of regular / standard text which has the error.)

I can show you with WebEx if that would assist you.  I am only going to put up with this for another day or two before I punt.  Just unworkable to not know what one is doing in text work.

• 3. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
              user16881

I went back and replicated my screenshot...  I cut and paste the same text into the field.

entry field set to Arial standard / plain 10 point. --  paste always has gap

entry field Arial bold 10 point. -- paste always pasts correctly

entry field Arial italic 10 point -- paste always has visually twice or three times the gap as on style plain / standard

entry field Arial underscrore 10 point - paste always has the gap, same gap as style standard / plain

• 4. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                TSGal

Barry Hanold:

I found a machine with Windows 8.1.  On the main screen, I found "Control Panel".  On the Control Panel screen, on the right side, there is a section "Appearance and Personalization".  After clicking this, I clicked on the second section "Display".  From here, I made sure the "Change the size of all items" was set to Smaller.  See the screenshot below.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                  user16881

I have been thinking back to my graphics work days...

more testing...  the issue has to do with character length in rendering....  If there is zero characters in the field the cursor is positioned correctly.  The fewer characters, the smaller this [gap]; the more characters, the larger this [gap].  Many "i" and the [gap] is very large.  Many "w" and the [gap] goes negative (beam cursor is actually placed in the line of "w" characters.

• 6. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                    user16881

That now means all my forms are a mess...  I need a 110% or 120% zoom versus the 100% or 150% that are preset.  I might still go back a version because all worked fine and I could see my work clearly.

• 7. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                      philmodjunk

Am I correct that this is another manifestation of this bug logged just today?

For More Information see:     FM13v02 - with fatal rendering issues!!!

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 8. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This may be related to the other issue you mentioned, but I need confirmation from Barry Hanold that he is experiencing this at a zoom ration other than 100%.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                          user16881

Clarification (yes, working weekend because this is a real mess)...

I have moved my Windows "Change the size of all items" to 100%.  This Windows change the size of all items went from 125% to 100%.  Windows "change the size of all items" set to 100% did "fix" the [gap] issue for style plain text (style bold and italic noted above).

In an attempt to maintain multiple layouts of same data as individuals 'like their own view.  I have tried the Filemaker zoom feature as an attempt to get things back to workable.  I tried Filemaker zoom at 100% and 150% and decided I really need a Filemaker zoom setting of "125%".

Filemaker is still having font rendering issues / problems.  Windows "change the size of all items" is 100%.  Filemaker zoom is 100%.  I do not have the [gap] issue so "fixed" BUT font readability (font rendering) is still an issue.

Font rendering is still an issue.  Windows "change the size of all items" is 100%.  Filemaker zoom is 100%.  Same field (so same text etc.), same font, same style, etc.  Note the 9 point display (lower list) versus the 10 point display (upper list).  My example is numbers 1 through 0.  Note, digits "1" "4" "5" "7" are not equal height in 9 point but 10 point no eye visible issue.  "3" digit in 9 point is a different upper shape from lower shape (about the middle arm) but no such in 10 point.

Font rendering corrects the prior paragraph issues WHEN... Windows "change the size of all items" is 100%.  Filemaker zoom is 200%. (Filemaker zoom is 150% still has the rendering issue.)

• 10. Re: cursor is not placed correctly during certain field data entry
                            TSGal

Barry Hanold:

I'm running FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v2 under Windows 7.  I have set up a new database file (Test.fmp12) with three Text fields, "Arial 9", "Arial 10" and "Arial 12", all formatted as Arial fonts 9 point, 10 point, and 12 point, respectively.  I have entered the same values as your screen shot, and I have opened another window and sized it for 150%.  I am unable to replicate your rendering issues (see my screen shot below).

Try selecting the entire contents of your field, pull down the Format menu and select Size -> 9.  Does this change the rendering?

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.