Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.3

Description of the issue

Find * (asterisk - wildcard) does not work for dashes "-".  Asterisks should ignore/find ANY/ALL characters, numbers or punctuation.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Perform Find for 2*2 in a FileMaker text field & record containing 23-pp-24

Expected result

Record should be found

Actual result

It isn't.  Find 2*-*-24 will.  It does seem to find 2-12

• 1. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
          TSGal

Joe Cordes:

Thank you for your post.

Find for "2*2" will find all words that begin with the digit 2, a dynamic amount of characters and ending with the digit 2.  If you entered 2*4 as the search criteria, then it would find 23-pp-24, as it begins with 2 and ends with 4.  This is the same reason why 2*2 would find 2-12.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
            TSGal

Joe Cordes:

Another of our online support technicians alerted me to Knowledge Base Article #3440 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3440

This may also help understanding how Find works.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
              joekewe@mail.com

Searching for 2*4 does NOT find 23-pp-24.  Try it.  Searching for 2*-*-*4 does find 23-pp-24.  Hyphens appear to break the asterisk wildcard. 

The KnowledgeBase article says it only applies to WordCount, RightWords, LeftWords, and MiddleWords, but hyphens and spaces (word breaks) appear to break asterisk wildcard searches.  In my experience, searching for a*b should search for ANYTHING between a and b, including spaces, but FileMaker's asterisk seems to stop at spaces and hyphens.  Searching for J*S finds "Julius Caesar", but not "Joe Cordes".  Isn't this wrong?

Using your example, Find 2*2 will find "2-12", but not "2-b2" because of the Knowledgebase word separator note about hyphens.  Word separators should be treated like any other character for asterisk wildcards.

• 4. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                philmodjunk

[Edit] This post contains a mistake. As documented further down in the thread, ==2*4 is the correct find criteria to use.

They don't break asterisk wild card searches but they are funky when it comes to serving as word break characters.

FileMaker considers the text "23-pp-24" as three words, not one word.

2*4 is criteria searching for a single word in the text field beginning with 2 and ending with 4. No such single word exists in this example text.

For that reason, the following criteria will find the sample text:

=2*4

including the = operator makes this a search on the entire string in the field instead of individual words.

• 5. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                  joekewe@mail.com

Your = operator trick does not work.  "=2*4" does not find "23-pp-24" in FM12 or 13, nor does "=B*y" find "Bob and Lindsey".  Should it?  I've never seen this "search across multiple words" use for "=" in FileMaker help docs.

FileMaker 12 DOES find the sample text "23-pp-24" when searching for 2*4 (no equal sign required), so it must be a change in handling hyphens as word breaks with adjacent alpha characters in FM13.  "B*y" does not find "Bob and Lindsey" in FM12 (with or without equal sign), so it must think "23-pp-24" is one word.

Any suggestions for finding a string of multiple (variable) words which starts with "b" and ends with "y" without using a separate calculation field?

• 6. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                    joekewe@mail.com

Sorry, I "checked" your answer in the forum as working before testing it.  I wish I could uncheck it. Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                      Fred(CH)

Hello there,

Phil was definitely on the right track.

But since = is for one word, == mean entire field.

Thus, if you enter these :

==2*2*

23-pp-24 will be found.

Bye, Fred

• 8. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                        philmodjunk

I tested this before posting and it worked for me. (I wasn't sure if = or == was needed.)

I created two records in a test:

23-pp-24
                             23-pp-25

I then entered find mode and used =2*4 as my find criteria and performed the find.

It then produced a found set of one record with the first record found and the second omitted.

This was done searching a text field in FileMaker 13.0v3 in Windows 7.

• 9. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                          Fred(CH)

Phil :

Yep, your result was correct because FileMaker found the third word "24" of the first record, since this word begin by "2" and it ends by "4".

So it matched with your criteria : =2*4

• 10. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                            philmodjunk

Good catch! When I change 23-pp-24 to 23-pp-14, the find comes up empty and using == does still find the correct record--confirming your results.

But it does not explain this:

Your = operator trick does not work.  "=2*4" does not find "23-pp-24"

Which suggests that something else is affecting the results here....

• 11. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                              Fred(CH)

Indeed.

However, i also tested this one and got same result as you.

Maybe Joe made a mistake and tested, as suggested by the original description, the criteria below :

=2*2 (instead of =2*4)

Fred

• 12. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                                joekewe@mail.com

Phil,

This was my mistake.  I was omitting a bunch of found records with "24", just looking for ones that matched 23-pp-24 (without matching the obvious 24).  The == trick works.  Please consider adding a footnote to the docs about combining == and asterisks for wildcard searches of entire fields.

I'm not sure if you can "un-promote" a post in this forum, but you should un-check your earlier post on this topic that suggested one equal sign "=" instead of two.

Thanks all,

Joe

• 13. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                                  philmodjunk

As forum community leader, I am a volunteer and do not work for FileMaker Inc. and thus have no direct say in what FileMaker might do to resolve an issue.

While I do have a greater level of access to the parts of this forum than the average forum user, I can't change that particular setting to "unpromote" that post. Even deleting that posted comment does not remove it.

• 14. Re: Dashes - break asterisk * wildcard Finds
                                    Fred(CH)

Phil, i respectfully think you didn't understand last Joe's comment.

You can easily edit your post @ 1:35 AM and correct it to show that == will do the trick.

Thus, the "best answer" of this post will contain the expected solution.

I swear that doesn't annoy me i since i am just happy to help...

wink

Fred

1 2 Previous Next