Summary

Data doesn't appear in table

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I've used Filemaker for many years to track student grades. This semester I separated the records into several tables. I have three tables: for student info, assignments, and midterm (among others).

In each case, I have created a field "student." I have created a relationship between student info and each other table. For each, I selected "Allow creation of records" on each side of the relationship. In Layout Setup I show records for student info. On the layout, the student field is from student info, and all the others are from the other table, whether assignments or midterm.

When I type data into the various fields of the midterm (e.g., length, interpretation, citation) it all appears until I deselect by moving to another record. Instead, the data appears only when I select "Show data from [Midterm] in Layout Setup.

I've triple-checked, even now as I wrote this. I'm stumped. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Data doesn't appear in table
          philmodjunk

Are you using a portal?

On what type of field have you based your relationship?

Details there may keep the "allow creation..." option from doing anything when you create a new record and thus your new records may not actually be linked correctly to your current student info record. (And you rarely need this option enable for both sides of a relationship.)

The typical way this "allow creation..." option can be used to automatically link to related records is if you have a portal to the related table on your student info layout. In that case, typing data in the bottom blank portal row will automatically create a record in the portal that is related to the current student Info record.

• 2. Re: Data doesn't appear in table
            JohnCalvelli

On what type of field have you based your relationship?

I had mistakenly set the Midterm student field as number and the one in student info as text. Will both set as text, they appear!

Thanks so much.